ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
So I’ve just received my liquid cooling immersion tank with all the Therma Safe dielectric fluids and I’m keen to get it set up.

I’ve got indium foil (0.1mm) to replace the thermal paste on my GPU but to remove the fan case, I need to disable the fans to avoid errors coming up.

What is the process to disable the fans? Do I just 0 the rpm of the fan in the GPU bios?

Solution
For your CPU_FAN, you can set a BIOS setting to disable the zero RPM alarm at startup. This has been common for quite some time for those running custom watercooling setups. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any other fan to account for that should cause any issues unless your motherboard has active cooling, then you'll need to track down those specific settings in the manual.

I would be curious to see how this works for you, can you post some photos and real-world usage once it is running?
So I’ve just received my liquid cooling immersion tank with all the Therma Safe dielectric fluids and I’m keen to get it set up.

I’ve got indium foil (0.1mm) to replace the thermal paste on my GPU but to remove the fan case, I need to disable the fans to avoid errors coming up.

What is the process to disable the fans? Do I just 0 the rpm of the fan in the GPU bios?
Disconnect them physically.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
For your CPU_FAN, you can set a BIOS setting to disable the zero RPM alarm at startup. This has been common for quite some time for those running custom watercooling setups. Otherwise, there shouldn't be any other fan to account for that should cause any issues unless your motherboard has active cooling, then you'll need to track down those specific settings in the manual.

I would be curious to see how this works for you, can you post some photos and real-world usage once it is running?

Reactions: ajaz1986
Solution

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018

Sure, happy to update with photos/videos etc one done. So hopefully disconnecting the fan on the gpu should not create any error :) saves me a LOT of time. Thanks

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

Turned the machine on today and I’m getting a 511c temp error. I’m told the AMD RX-Series GPUs have fancheck. Can anyone assist in how to disable the GPU fan from an RX-480 8Gb?

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Submerging my system with AMD RX-480 8GB GPU in dielectric fluid for immersion cooling. I've stripped off the chassis, removed the fans and replaced the thermal pasted with indium foil.
When I power it on, I get a hardware error because of the GPU fans being disconnected, if I reconnect them, the error goes away - so I know it's the fans.

I've downloaded the GPU bios using atiflash and editing with Polaris Bios Editor. I changed the fan PWM/RPM settings to 0, saved and reflashed but after a reboot it made no difference.

Does anyone know how to successfully disable the fans from bios?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
GPU fan isn't managed in motherboard BIOS, but you could set it to zero (perhaps) with something like MSI afterburner. Otherwise, I've installed many, many GPU water blocks and this requires you to remove the heatsink and fan, and not reconnect anything...my systems have always started fine without error. However, I have always used Nvidia GPUs, so wondering if this is something AMD specific.