Preparing in advance for an AMD Zen2 build starting with the case. Willing to spend ~$150. Any recommendations?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
As mentioned in the thread title, I am beginning to construct an AMD Zen2 build from scratch and am currently trying to determine which case I should buy. I don't know how unrealistic my requirements are since I have little experience with cases, but I would like a low maintenance, mid-tower, ATX board accommodating case with good airflow that will allow an overclocked CPU (and possibly GPU) to breathe well. Is there a case like that within my price range, or are those qualities only found in higher end cases?

Solution
Not at all, we enjoy helping users here! As for the H700 it's a bigger version of the H500, with AIO support up to 360mm on the front/top. It comes with a 140mm in the back and 3x140mm fans in front. If your set on using a AIO then this may be the better case as you'd want to mount it on top as exhaust as opposed to putting it in the front of the case dumping more hot air in, especially if this is for gaming as your GPU typically dumps quite a bit of air into the case if it's not a blower (reference) style cooler.

The i versions (500i/700i) has more support for RGB if that's what your into.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd go NZXT H500 which comes with two fans (top/back) for exhaust and just add in two 140mmg fans for intake. The case is nice with tempered glass on the side and has a very clean look. Cable management is easy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($10.39 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($10.39 @ OutletPC)
Total: $90.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-01 16:19 EST-0500

You could also replace the fans with LED/RGB versions if you want that extra flash.

I did mine with 120mm Thermaltake Riing LED fans.

ifvcfL9.jpg

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

If I understand correctly, the fans you added are the two on the inside of the case's front? So does the case have slots for that or something? Not trying to be obtuse, but this will be my first build in a few years, so I have to refamiliarize myself with everything.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Ah, I see. I have an additional question if you don't mind: Would you say that the case has enough room for a liquid cooler? I've never used one before, but plan to buy one for overclocking.

WildCard999

Titan

Yep it does support water-cooling

"Front: Up to 280mm
Rear: 120mm"

https://www.nzxt.com/products/h500-matte-white

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Cool, so far this case is looking like a great choice; thanks for your help so far. I hope I'm not becoming annoying, but while I was researching the H500, I learned that a pricier model titled the H700 exists. The H700 is technically within my budget, so I was wondering if you could explain the appeal of that case to me as opposed to the H500.

WildCard999

Titan
Not at all, we enjoy helping users here! As for the H700 it's a bigger version of the H500, with AIO support up to 360mm on the front/top. It comes with a 140mm in the back and 3x140mm fans in front. If your set on using a AIO then this may be the better case as you'd want to mount it on top as exhaust as opposed to putting it in the front of the case dumping more hot air in, especially if this is for gaming as your GPU typically dumps quite a bit of air into the case if it's not a blower (reference) style cooler.

The i versions (500i/700i) has more support for RGB if that's what your into.

Solution

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

Interesting... I probably should have mentioned this in the original post, but the rig I am going to build is indeed for gaming. I'm also planning my first foray into overclocking and was looking into a 360mm liquid cooler to do so with. The additional fans would surely help with that too, so I think I may actually go for the H700. You've been a tremendous help; thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I think I'm gonna abstain from a dual chamber. I've heard that they tend to run hotter than non-duals due to having a larger area for the air to travel through.

WildCard999

Titan

Fair enough.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

But again, thank you sincerely for the help you provided. Now... to repeat the same process with the motherboard.

WildCard999

Titan

Are you waiting for the CES announcement? AMD should be talking about the 3rd gen Ryzen & Navi GPU's, CES is in about a week.

My vote for the motherboard is the ASUS Strix B450-F, solid board.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014

I'll definitely be seeing what they have to say at CES, but a thought occurred to me moments after I pressed submit on my last post. If I recall correctly, AMD currently has a new line of mobos in the works, the X570 series. I wonder if it would be better to refrain from eyeing a mobo until more information on the new series and how they'll interact with the Zen2 chips is released.

WildCard999

Titan
AMD did state that they were using the AM4 socket motherboards until 2020 so I'd be surprised if the 3rd gen wasn't supported on current and previous gen motherboards via BIOS update.

I hope this is true as I wanted to keep this setup until 2020 and then grab the best AM4 socket CPU I could afford in 2020 & possibly a Navi refresh to replace my RX 580.