Preparing Modern build for an analog crt

Apr 26, 2018
I'm building a PC for a game called melee. I'm working with a Pentium g4560 and a b250 mobo

For some reason, the game is known to run faster with crt monitors so I need to know what component specs do I need to connect anologously to a crt. I heard it was the gpu, is it true? Do I need an old-school gpu? If so, what specs in the gpu should I look for? An exact model would be appreciated too.

Solution
To get CRT monitor running on modern system, you need to connect the monitor using VGA port. You can get away with VGA to DVI-I cable too if your MoBo/GPU doesn't have the VGA port where to connect your CRT monitor.

As far as CRT vs LCD goes, CRT monitors have 0ms of response time and game may appear to run smoother on CRT monitor rather than e.g 10ms LCD monitor.
Though, monitors have evolved a lot and at current date, ISP panel LCD monitors come as low as 5ms of response time while TN panel LCD monitors come as low as 1ms of response time.

So, the reason why it's said that this game runs better on CRT monitors rather than LCD monitors could very well be due to the high response time (10+ ms) old LCD monitors have.

If you were to go...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
To get CRT monitor running on modern system, you need to connect the monitor using VGA port. You can get away with VGA to DVI-I cable too if your MoBo/GPU doesn't have the VGA port where to connect your CRT monitor.

As far as CRT vs LCD goes, CRT monitors have 0ms of response time and game may appear to run smoother on CRT monitor rather than e.g 10ms LCD monitor.
Though, monitors have evolved a lot and at current date, ISP panel LCD monitors come as low as 5ms of response time while TN panel LCD monitors come as low as 1ms of response time.

So, the reason why it's said that this game runs better on CRT monitors rather than LCD monitors could very well be due to the high response time (10+ ms) old LCD monitors have.

If you were to go with 1ms TN panel 144 Hz LCD monitor then i don't think you'd see any difference between it and CRT monitor while playing that game. E.g AOC G2460PF that i too am planning to get,
review with video: https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/#G2460PF
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

Solution