[SOLVED] Preparing New Build, Compatibility Issues?

Nov 29, 2019
Hi everyone, new here. I'm preparing to build the first PC I've built in many years and I'm struggling a little bit with choosing the right components. The PC I'm using currently was built about 10 years ago with one of the first generation i7's, and so it past time for an update.

Admittedly, I've jumped into the game quickly this time to take advantage of Black Friday savings, and I think I may have created a couple of problems with my components. All items are on order (or will be soon) and nothing has been received yet. I'm hoping to reuse my Antec 1200 case (if the new components fit...one of my concerns) and maybe my old Corsair TX 750 power supply, but I don't know if it will have the right connections or not for what I need, or if this is advisable.

Anyway, here's what I have thus far, please respond with any issues. Right now I'm concerned about clearance for the CPU cooler with the RAM I've ordered and whether or not the cooler will fit within my case. Here's my build:

2x 4 16gb sticks =64gb

2x

So, what do you think? Issues? What would you do about the cooler? Will it all fit? Thanks!

Solution
No, I don't plan to overclock, but thanks for the info...wasn't sure how hot a 9900K ran.
Quite toasty. An 9900K with a 5.0ghz OC is pushing 250w of heat at full load; pretty much the limit of what Noctua's flagship cooler can handle.
At stock operation, it's going to be closer to 200w, definitely doable with the NH-D15/S.

Thanks for the suggestion...trying to find out if it will fit in my older case now.
The Antec Twelve Hundred has plenty of room for long gpus; 444mm clearance limit. But I wasn't able to find the cpu cooler clearance limit - but you should be able to get an idea by measuring the distance from the case's motherboard standoffs to the side panel.

I didn't realize that, I'm actually using two...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Do you plan to overclock that cpu? If yes, then you need to look at 280mm or larger AIOs. The NH-D15 can't handle an overclocked 9900K.

2)The NH-D15S is an excellent alternative to the regular D15...

3)If you must have 64GBs of memory, then get either a 2x 32GB kit, or a PROPER 4x 16GB kit. Getting 2 'identical' 32GB kits aren't truly identical, and isn't guaranteed to work.

4)For how long has the TX 750 been in use? [Not how long you've actually had it.] If it's seen more than 5 years of use, it may be time to replace it.

Nov 29, 2019
Thanks for the response.

1)Do you plan to overclock that cpu? If yes, then you need to look at 280mm or larger AIOs. The NH-D15 can't handle an overclocked 9900K.

No, I don't plan to overclock, but thanks for the info...wasn't sure how hot a 9900K ran.

2)The NH-D15S is an excellent alternative to the regular D15...

Thanks for the suggestion...trying to find out if it will fit in my older case now.

3)If you must have 64GBs of memory, then get either a 2x 32GB kit, or a PROPER 4x 16GB kit. Getting 2 'identical' 32GB kits aren't truly identical, and isn't guaranteed to work.

I didn't realize that, I'm actually using two different brands in my current PC 🆒 , guess I've been lucky. I'll check into something different. I'm thinking 64 GB because I sometimes run several Adobe apps at the same time including Premiere Pro.

4)For how long has the TX 750 been in use? [Not how long you've actually had it.] If it's seen more than 5 years of use, it may be time to replace it.

About 10 years lol, maybe time for an upgrade.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Quite toasty. An 9900K with a 5.0ghz OC is pushing 250w of heat at full load; pretty much the limit of what Noctua's flagship cooler can handle.
At stock operation, it's going to be closer to 200w, definitely doable with the NH-D15/S.

The Antec Twelve Hundred has plenty of room for long gpus; 444mm clearance limit. But I wasn't able to find the cpu cooler clearance limit - but you should be able to get an idea by measuring the distance from the case's motherboard standoffs to the side panel.

I didn't realize that, I'm actually using two different brands in my current PC 🆒 , guess I've been lucky. I'll check into something different. I'm thinking 64 GB because I sometimes run several Adobe apps at the same time including Premiere Pro.
Sometimes it works, sometimes not. It's very hit and miss.
No one can give you a concrete answer whether Kit A will work with Kit B; that's why it's safer to either replace the older kit, or get as much ram as you think you'll need right at the start.
Even separate kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - it's simply the combination with the highest rate of compatibility.

About 10 years lol, maybe time for an upgrade.
Indeed, that would be the best course of action. Either of these would be a good replacement: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/y88H99,WrNypg,2HbwrH/

Solution

TRENDING THREADS