Presario 2240 memory question

I just inherited a Presario 2240 from a friend who knows absolutely
nothing about computers, so I can't ask them this question. (They got
a new system - Dell Pentium 4 with 512 megs - what an upgrade!)

I know nothing about Compaqs, and couldn't find an answer to this
question on the Net.

I see 1 memory bank on the MB, and it has a 64 meg chip in it.
However, Windows 95b, which is what is installed on this system, only
shows a total of 16 megs installed memory. If I remove the 64 meg
chip, it still boots, and shows 16 megs memory installed. How wierd.

How do I get the system to recognize the 64 meg chip? And, if you
know, what's the max memory that can be installed on this model?

Any help appreciated.

CB

hh

The slot can handle only up to a 32MB DIMM and it must be PC66 memory.
PC100/133 likely will not work. There is 16MB soldered on the motherboard
for a max memory of 48MB. CSO has 32MB PC66 DIMMs for $3. try here:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?C=6&s=26

HH

"ChowBoy" <BadBoyz@chowder.net> wrote in message
>I just inherited a Presario 2240 from a friend who knows absolutely
> nothing about computers, so I can't ask them this question. (They got
> a new system - Dell Pentium 4 with 512 megs - what an upgrade!)
>
> I know nothing about Compaqs, and couldn't find an answer to this
> question on the Net.
>
> I see 1 memory bank on the MB, and it has a 64 meg chip in it.
> However, Windows 95b, which is what is installed on this system, only
> shows a total of 16 megs installed memory. If I remove the 64 meg
> chip, it still boots, and shows 16 megs memory installed. How wierd.
>
> How do I get the system to recognize the 64 meg chip? And, if you
> know, what's the max memory that can be installed on this model?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> CB

HH,

Thanks so much for your help. Now I know what the problem is. And FYI
the memory module is PC133. Boy, somebody was dumber than I am ... ha
ha.

Thanks again. I'll just cull the good parts and toss the thang.

CB