Presario 2550 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recently bought this used laptop
It has a Toshiba DVD /CDRW internal drive
Running XP home edition SP1A.

I am able to read CDs and view DVDs
I am unable to burn any CDs
Using Nero Burning ROM V5 to try to burn CDs
It does not recoginze the blank media.
I used the same media succsesfully on a desktop CDRW.

TIA
Dave

news.verizon.net wrote:
> Recently bought this used laptop
> It has a Toshiba DVD /CDRW internal drive
> Running XP home edition SP1A.
>
> I am able to read CDs and view DVDs
> I am unable to burn any CDs
> Using Nero Burning ROM V5 to try to burn CDs
> It does not recoginze the blank media.
> I used the same media succsesfully on a desktop CDRW.
>
> TIA
> Dave

This, AIRC, is a known problem with XP and Nero v5. Does the native XP
burning work?

Thanks for your reply.
No native XP burning not working either.

Do I need to disable native XP burning in properties of the CDRW device
for Nero to work?

Thank you

news.verizon.net wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> No native XP burning not working either.
>
> Do I need to disable native XP burning in properties of the CDRW
> device for Nero to work?
>
> Thank you
>> news.verizon.net wrote:
>>> Recently bought this used laptop
>>> It has a Toshiba DVD /CDRW internal drive
>>> Running XP home edition SP1A.
>>>
>>> I am able to read CDs and view DVDs
>>> I am unable to burn any CDs
>>> Using Nero Burning ROM V5 to try to burn CDs
>>> It does not recoginze the blank media.
>>> I used the same media succsesfully on a desktop CDRW.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Dave
>>
>> This, AIRC, is a known problem with XP and Nero v5. Does the native
>> XP burning work?

No, you need to remove Nero. BTW, if you have the Nero Burning Rights
control panel installed, check that to see if your account has been
denied rights and correct that before you deinstall Nero. This happened
once with my Nero 5.5 for whatever reason. Check that your XP user
account has superuser or administrator rights also. WinXP requires Nero
6.x, previous versions are not compatible.

If you continue to have problems with basic burning, from a command
prompt type: sfc /scannow. Have your XP install CD handy. SFC, system
file checker, will restore any corruped system files that *might* be
preventing the burning. Otherwise, you might then do a repair install.

Q , thanks for your help!
You are right about Nero.
My version of Nero was 5.5 so it was outdated.

I downloaded updates from the Nero web site and the burner is working with
the expection of
the INCD applet.

Still confused why the XP built in burning does not work.

BTW do the CD Recorder properties displayed by right clicking on CDRW
drive in My computer conflict with Nero ?

TIA
Dave