Meister

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Greetings... I have a relatively straightforward set of questions. I
own a Compaq Presario 7000US (Athlon 1.2 GHz CPU, preinstalled 80GB
Ultra-DMA HD) and have recently started to have the sorts of problems
one expects when a hard disk is nearing the end of its life. I was
just wondering what kind of HD I would need to get to upgrade the
system. (ignoring Compaq support's stubborn insistence that "ITS ONLY
BEEN TESTED TO 80GB @ 5400RPMS.") I know that I need to get an
IDE/Ultra ATA, but is there any particular limit to how big the drive
can be? Right now, I am looking at 120 GB HDs from Maxtor and
Seagate. Would my BIOS have any trouble with using a drive that
large? Pardon me if this sounds like something of a neophyte concern;
I have just learned, through experience and in spite of my above
average computer knowledge, to be somewhat paranoid with this
particular PC, which my perpetually limited budget does nothing to
help. :p I apologize if this has been covered before. I used the
search function and couldn't find a question exactly like this one.

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered!

120GB will be fine. It might have problems with anything over that (Likely
will, as the limit is probably around 127GB).

Other than that, anything is fine. Get a 7200 rpm disk.

Tom
"Meister" <the_vagabond@myway-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Greetings... I have a relatively straightforward set of questions. I
> own a Compaq Presario 7000US (Athlon 1.2 GHz CPU, preinstalled 80GB
> Ultra-DMA HD) and have recently started to have the sorts of problems
> one expects when a hard disk is nearing the end of its life. I was
> just wondering what kind of HD I would need to get to upgrade the
> system. (ignoring Compaq support's stubborn insistence that "ITS ONLY
> BEEN TESTED TO 80GB @ 5400RPMS.") I know that I need to get an
> IDE/Ultra ATA, but is there any particular limit to how big the drive
> can be? Right now, I am looking at 120 GB HDs from Maxtor and
> Seagate. Would my BIOS have any trouble with using a drive that
> large? Pardon me if this sounds like something of a neophyte concern;
> I have just learned, through experience and in spite of my above
> average computer knowledge, to be somewhat paranoid with this
> particular PC, which my perpetually limited budget does nothing to
> help. :p I apologize if this has been covered before. I used the
> search function and couldn't find a question exactly like this one.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered!

dos

I put a 120 in my 7000US.