Presario needs memory

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only one
that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can live
with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
Thanks

--
Michael Abraham
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
(416) 654-2272
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Go to www.crucal.com and use the configurator for your model. Odds are
you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density memory
(if MY memory serves).

Tom
"Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only
one
> that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
live
> with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Abraham
> Toronto, Ontario
> Canada
> (416) 654-2272
>
>
 

dos

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
174
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

LOL or... www.crucial.com


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:udWdnWqp5fh9kGbdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> Go to www.crucal.com and use the configurator for your model. Odds are
> you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density memory
> (if MY memory serves).
>
> Tom
> "Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only
> one
> > that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
> live
> > with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Michael Abraham
> > Toronto, Ontario
> > Canada
> > (416) 654-2272
> >
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Here's what I found:

System Information
Maximum memory: 48 MB
Standard memory: 16 MB (non-removable) + 0, 8, 16 MB (removable)
Slots: 1 socket
Your Compaq Presario 4540 only supports modules made with a specific type of
chip.

Jeeeeez!



"doS" <happygoucky@yucky1.com> wrote in message
news:10fm65prpf8o6b1@corp.supernews.com...
> LOL or... www.crucial.com
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:udWdnWqp5fh9kGbdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> > Go to www.crucal.com and use the configurator for your model. Odds are
> > you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density
memory
> > (if MY memory serves).
> >
> > Tom
> > "Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > > I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the
only
> > one
> > > that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
> > live
> > > with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Michael Abraham
> > > Toronto, Ontario
> > > Canada
> > > (416) 654-2272
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

That's pretty common. Anything over 2-3 years old won't support double
density chips -- not just Compaq.
"Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:97GKc.361$u_X.139@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> Here's what I found:
>
> System Information
> Maximum memory: 48 MB
> Standard memory: 16 MB (non-removable) + 0, 8, 16 MB (removable)
> Slots: 1 socket
> Your Compaq Presario 4540 only supports modules made with a specific type
of
> chip.
>
> Jeeeeez!
>
>
>
> "doS" <happygoucky@yucky1.com> wrote in message
> news:10fm65prpf8o6b1@corp.supernews.com...
> > LOL or... www.crucial.com
> >
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:udWdnWqp5fh9kGbdRVn-jw@comcast.com...
> > > Go to www.crucal.com and use the configurator for your model. Odds
are
> > > you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density
> memory
> > > (if MY memory serves).
> > >
> > > Tom
> > > "Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > > news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > > > I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the
> only
> > > one
> > > > that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who
can
> > > live
> > > > with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> > > > Thanks
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Michael Abraham
> > > > Toronto, Ontario
> > > > Canada
> > > > (416) 654-2272
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
 

hh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
645
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

OK, here's the skinny on the 4500s, memory wise. You need to find PC66
SDRAM. Some PC100 DIMMs will work, but not many. Crucial does not list
memory for the 4500s for that reason. Try here:

http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showproduct.asp?category=6&subcategory=26

They list a 32MB PC66 DIMM for $3.
HH



"Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only
one
> that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
live
> with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Abraham
> Toronto, Ontario
> Canada
> (416) 654-2272
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

> you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density memory
>> (if MY memory serves).

Might it require EDO? I don't remember...

Dale
 

hh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
645
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Nope. 4500s need PC66 DIMMs. Very few PC100s will work.
HH

"DEJ57" <dej57@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040720153607.22500.00000178@mb-m11.aol.com...
> > you're trying high-density memory and it only supports low-density
memory
> >> (if MY memory serves).
>
> Might it require EDO? I don't remember...
>
> Dale
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

I had the same problem with a Presario 4540 when I replaced my 16 MB chip
with a 32 MB chip 7 or 8 years ago. The base problem is that the
motherboard requires memory modules with SPD - Serial Presence Detect. The
idea behind SPD is that the memory stick had an extra EPROM chip on the
stick that was able to identify itself with the mobo. When the power was
turned on, the motherboard received information about the memory stick type
by reading the information from this EPROM.

At the time I thought it was a very forward-thinking idea from Compaq. At
least, that's what I thought until I tried several different 32 MB chips and
none of them worked because the more standard memory sticks didn't have
these little fancy self-identifying EPROMs. If there was a way to disable
this using the BIOS or a jumper setting, nobody knew it at the time. I
ended up purchasing memory directly from Compaq because that's the only
place which sold chips which contained SPD. The cost was not cheap - it was
about 4-5 times higher than other 32 MB chips at the time.

And as someone has already pointed out in this thread, that model has 16 MB
of build-in memory and only a single DIMM expansion slot taking a max of 32
MB. So even if you purchase a 32 MB chip to replace your 16 MB chip, you're
going to max out at 48 MB and have a 16 MB loose keychain left over.

That was such a racket. I look for those types of things now when I
purchase systems.

-Jack

"Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only
one
> that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
live
> with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Abraham
> Toronto, Ontario
> Canada
> (416) 654-2272
>
>
 

hh

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
645
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Most SyncDRAM DIMMs today support SPD. The issue with the 4500s was a timing
issue. PC66 (10-12ns) DIMMs were required. Very few PC100 (8ns) DIMMs would
work. Kinda hinky, I know, but true nonetheless.
HH

"Jack Cooper" <jackNOSPAMcooper@comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
news:TIidndQgM-e2yJXcRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> I had the same problem with a Presario 4540 when I replaced my 16 MB chip
> with a 32 MB chip 7 or 8 years ago. The base problem is that the
> motherboard requires memory modules with SPD - Serial Presence Detect.
The
> idea behind SPD is that the memory stick had an extra EPROM chip on the
> stick that was able to identify itself with the mobo. When the power was
> turned on, the motherboard received information about the memory stick
type
> by reading the information from this EPROM.
>
> At the time I thought it was a very forward-thinking idea from Compaq. At
> least, that's what I thought until I tried several different 32 MB chips
and
> none of them worked because the more standard memory sticks didn't have
> these little fancy self-identifying EPROMs. If there was a way to disable
> this using the BIOS or a jumper setting, nobody knew it at the time. I
> ended up purchasing memory directly from Compaq because that's the only
> place which sold chips which contained SPD. The cost was not cheap - it
was
> about 4-5 times higher than other 32 MB chips at the time.
>
> And as someone has already pointed out in this thread, that model has 16
MB
> of build-in memory and only a single DIMM expansion slot taking a max of
32
> MB. So even if you purchase a 32 MB chip to replace your 16 MB chip,
you're
> going to max out at 48 MB and have a 16 MB loose keychain left over.
>
> That was such a racket. I look for those types of things now when I
> purchase systems.
>
> -Jack
>
> "Michael Abraham" <bb.parris@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:yPDKc.22$wyV.3@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > I have tried a number of memory sticks in my Presario 4540 and the only
> one
> > that works is the original Compaq memory supplied with it. But who can
> live
> > with 32mb? Help! Does only Compaq memory work in this thing?
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Michael Abraham
> > Toronto, Ontario
> > Canada
> > (416) 654-2272
> >
> >
>
>
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS