Prescott fails below its GHZ

dejay97

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hi

I have a problem with a prescott 3.0 which run on a p4c800 deluxe board.
When i try to use full speed it kicks out at various stages, either windows boot, or after a time.
I have downclocked the bus to 150 Mhz (2.2 Ghz) and the the machine runs fine.
I have no idea (well actually i have a few) what to do, so i hope someone can help me.
Need to say my RAM is PC 3200.

Cheers

Jan

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I'll let other do the flaming for getting a prescott in the first place, but I would guess its a PSU issue. Prescott is power hungry beast, and your PSU needs to be able to feed it. Check your voltages with MBM or in the bios.

If that is not it, try relaxing memory timings in the BIOS, see if it changes anything.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
No flaming from me... I suggest PSU problem as well.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a RAM problem, a lot of cheap RAM won't run right on 875 chipset boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dejay97

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hi again,

Was thinking PSU could be the problem, although i have a 380 watt antec supply. Going to try running the system without CD-RW and 2nd HD.
The RAM is Kingston, and unless they are faulty, they have always worked fine for me.

ETPerth

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I actually got a Prescott 3.0Ghz yesterday.. should I do some research first I would not have gotten it in the first place.

Same problem, except my runs very hot at around 68-70c. I use a Gigabyte 875P board (8IK-1100). I have a coolermaster 420w PSU though. Do you think it would be a PSU problem?

I re-plugged my 2.4Ghz Northwood CPU back and everything is fine.

ETPerth

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
I actually got a Prescott 3.0Ghz yesterday.. should I do some research first I would not have gotten it in the first place.

Same problem, except my runs very hot at around 68-70c. I use a Gigabyte 875P board (8IK-1100). I have a coolermaster 420w PSU though. Do you think it would be a PSU problem?

I re-plugged my 2.4Ghz Northwood CPU back and everything is fine.

Do you think mine might be a PSU problem as well?

dejay97

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hi,

Having messed around with my own system, i no longer think its the PSU. I tried to disconnect CD-RW,HD #2 and floppy. This should have made enough effect for the MOBO and CPU, but i still had the problem.
Then after some more messing, i found that it was the Hyper threading, if you disable that in the BIOS, your computer will run fine (well mine did).
BUT, naturally i want my hyper threading (i paid for it) so im currently working on the problem (yes, my MOBO and drivers are ready for HT).
Think i have narrowed it down to my Nvidia driver (beyond me why this whould mess with HT). i will do some more work and get back.
Try to disable the hyper threading and reboot, i bet you it will work.

Jan

PS. drop me a line if it does