PresentMon: Performance In DirectX, OpenGL, And Vulkan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomspown

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
The title says "Performance In DirectX, OpenGL, And Vulkan" am i missing pages or just going blind, i read the article then i skimmed through it twice and has nothing to do with Vulkan only power consumption at the end.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Igor, some of the charts mislabel the 1060 as the 480. Noticeable especially when the red and green coloring is used. Interesting stuff. I'm pleased to see you digging deeper with the data gathering, analysis and interpretation. It makes for more informed purchasing decisions.

neblogai

Distinguished
This is great- a lot of important data is revealed when doing diligent analysis like this. I have only two notices/questions:
1) Is CPU load measured as total average of all cores, or maximum of a single most loaded core? Single cores at 100% might explain some of the slow frames-it would be great to have a graph with those two together.
2) In the forum when people ask for builds, or about bottlenecks, they rarely tell what monitor, resolution, adaptive or fixed frame rate will be used. Similarly here- article could make note of available monitor technology. Frame times will get a special treatment on most popular- 60Hz fixed refresh rate without VSync, making actual frame times, and user experience completely different than can be expected from frame-time graphs here. Monitors with adaptive sync can also change frame-times, as well as their functions like Low Frame Compensation. It would be great if this was taken into account by few extra tests, or at least by giving notice with links to explanation of frame-time effect on different types and abilities of monitors. That would make it a full picture, and an excellent guide for intelligent purchase decision.

When it comes to digging deep into the numbers for performance, Tom's tends to be ahead of the crowd and this just brings that margin up further. Excellent read.

@TOMSPOWN and MADDAD:
The techniques and software used in this article is compatible with Vulkan, that is the point they were making related to Vulkan. Unlike Fraps, what they're doing now is compatible with more than just DX11, in fact it's apparently compatible with all of the graphics APIs we care about, which makes testing both more accurate and easier for them to manage.

^ Both charts in 'Performance Versus Smoothness' -> 'Frame Rate Versus Frame Time Difference' has the bottom left chart with RX 480 label.

Are you going to make game bench articles with this? Haven't seen any game benches on TH lately.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
@FormatC

Under "Frame Rate Versus Frame Time Difference", 3rd page. I am presuming that the red chart is for the 480, the green for the 1060. Some of the green charts are labeled as the 480 card.

erad84

Commendable
Dec 11, 2016
The TechReport's 99th percentile frame time graphs are a great way to summarise how smooth or not a cards results are.
Their frames spent beyond X fram time bar graphs help convey this too.

You article is good and the graphs are nice but I think TechReports graph ideas are the best I've seen for performance smoothness summaries. Plus they're easier to understand and glean info from at a glance as they're simpler to look at.

G

There is no point of doing any benches under DX12 as it brings < performance than DX11 in every single title. Also gaming in Windows 7 is better than on Windows 10, as MGPU works properly under Windows 7. For example, SLI performance of Far Cry Primal scales awesome in DX11 Windows 7 where is total mess with DX11 and Windows 10.
I wish the reviewers actually review video cards or do roundup in Windows 7 rather than with Windows 10. Every single site doing reviews uses Windows 10 which is totally wrong choice as OS is nothing but a broken beta Windows release which gets worse with each new update.
Again, DX12 is not important at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS