Question Pressing "Clear CMOS" button leads to "inaccessible boot device" error, and eventually error 0xc00000f upon trying to boot from boot manager ?

Cro55ed

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016
Out of sheer stupidity and ignorance, I managed to screw up my PC. No matter what I do, I can’t boot it. I hope I can get into Windows with my files intact because I am quite stressed right now.

specs:
Core I7-8700
GTX-1080
16 Gigs of RAM
500 GB Samsung SSD (which has the OS)
And a DVD drive

Edit: Now it always loops to "inaccessible boot device" until advanced repair kicks in. I’m starting to think that resetting it might be the only choice (though I’ll hold out on my decision until someone responds or until I lose patience)

Last edited:
Out of sheer stupidity and ignorance, I managed to screw up my PC. No matter what I do, I can’t boot it. I hope I can get into Windows with my files intact because I am quite stressed right now.

specs:
Core I7-8700
GTX-1080
16 Gigs of RAM
500 GB Samsung SSD (which has the OS)
And a DVD drive

Edit: Now it always loops to "inaccessible boot device" until advanced repair kicks in. I’m starting to think that resetting it might be the only choice (though I’ll hold out on my decision until someone responds or until I lose patience)
Clearing your cmos shouldn't damage your disk; you may have had previous bios settings that now need to be restored before it will boot. Did you previously have something like CMS Enabled or booting set to Legacy rather than Secure Boot? Those would be the 2 bios settings that would most affect booting. You could also check to see if Fast Boot is Enabled and turn that off.

As a last resort, you should be able to download a linux distro and mount it on a usb stick. If you can boot from that usb you can use its file manager to try to access your ssd and copy your essential files off onto external media. Once your essential files are secure offline then you could try resetting Windows or if that fails, reinstalling.

TRENDING THREADS