pressing F1/F2/Del wont go to BIOS but restarts instead

DarkT

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
I need your expertise guys. Just got some for this m-Atx build I am assembling and here are my specs:

Asrock h61m-vs3
i5-3330 w/ deepcool theta 7 fan
corsair dominator 4gb
silverstone ST60F 600watt PSU

when i turn the system on, this is what shows up:

Copyright(C) 2011 American megatrends, Inc.
BIOS Date: 07/11/2013 18:00:23
H61M-VS3 UEFI P1.70
CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz Speed:3000Mhz
Total Memory: 3838MB

UEFI defaults have been loaded
Press F2 or DEL to Run Setup
Press F1 to Continue

when I press any of those keys, the system would just turn off(PSU and CPU fan stopped) and then powers on again.. with the same display message above. Here are the list of troubleshooting things I did and please advise if I missed something:

1. Cleared CMOS and even tried replacing battery
2. Updated BIOS/ tried downgrading version(Using old procie G020 dual core- that seem to work when paired with the motherboard).
3. replaced RAM

Of course non of those steps worked and Im getting really really frustrated. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this? Please help me shed light on this issue. :(

DarkT

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Im using USB.. Would it help if I try with a ps2 keyboard? Since I tested it with the same keyboard using an Intel G020 and the keys seem to work.

DarkT

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Well I did try. Borrowed a PS2 keyboard from my brother-in-law who brought it to me through a 2-hour drive. I was hopeful.. but, just the same issue.

Might be time to contact ASRock for an RMA of the board. If pressing Del doesn't take you into the UEFI/BIOS using either the USB or PS2 keyboard, then it looks like the mobo has a problem.
I would suspect RAM, but that usually doen't even let you get into the bios boot screen that you posted.

DarkT

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Im really lost here..

Just yesterday, I had paired the processor with my friend's motherboard and it seem to go to BIOS without issues. On the other hand, I tried my Asrock motherboard with a different processor and it seem to work as well.

Are there instances where a certain processor just simply would not work with a motherboard despite being listed as compatible?