Pressure Mounts For Oculus Ahead Of OC4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronpatocki

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
You do know that Oculus supports SteamVR as well? It would be the exact same constellation with WMR: an own proprietary store plus SteamVR content.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Oculus doesn't support SteamVR. The Steam store sells games that support the Oculus runtime. A game can support the Oculus runtime, the SteamVR runtime, or both. The only HMD that currently supports the Oculus runtime is the Rift. The only HMD that currently supports the SteamVR runtime is the Vive. Windows Mixed Reality HMDs support the Universal Windows Platform runtime, and they seek to support the SteamVR runtime too. No HMD supports every VR game.

thomasrwitt

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017
Iam hearing that inside out tracking may be less reliable and have trouble with any motion outside field of view, which is common in games. So I am not convinced inside out tracking is a must have. If my HMD dropped from 99.9% to 96% accurate, I would likely be very annoyed. It's jarring. Unless they can fix that limitation copying windows is a mistake.

Absolutely Windows inside out is good for business applications and some users. But I want diversity in the HMD marketplace specifically because so many possible technologies have trade-offs. So please don't encourage Rift to just copy newest thing.

Also I doubt the RIFT 2 is coming. They will probably have to wait for the next graphics card from NVidia because the big drawback in my mind is the need to go to quadruple pixel density so text is clearly legible and the hmd can replace the $1000 monitor I am considering. Which even the 1080 cannot reliably handle unless some clever software trick like foveated or something works flawlessly.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

According to Steam Steam VR does support Oculus Rift.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3180-UPHK-0900

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

You're right, and that's a really good point. Even so, Rift titles are stuck on Rift, officially. Unless I've forgotten something.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS