Jun 7, 2020
Alright so this is about a friend's computer but it's been sitting there for months so I figured I would help him if I could.

So he dropped an external harddrive on the top of his case (close to the CPU) and after that the computer won't show any displays on any screens but it's registering that something is plugged in(no signal but not showing the screens logo like it does when not plugged in)

I've tried switching the GPU to my pc to check and it worked
I've tried changing monitors and cords, no luck
I don't think it could be the hdd because it would atleast try to boot bios I believe ?
I also tried plugging a hdmi into the motherboards onboard graphics and no display either

So I'm chasing any way I could disgnose the last few parts or anything I have missed ? Maybe ram could cause no display?

Thanks for reading I appreciate your time reading my gibberish

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

to add, how old is the platform/PSU and the system overall? You might also want to include an image of the innards, especially a close of where the HDD dropped onto(close to the CPU, as you've stated) in case you knocked off a capacitor or a SMD.

Reactions: Ozzypride69
Jun 7, 2020
We're going to need more information. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

to add, how old is the platform/PSU and the system overall? You might also want to include an image of the innards, especially a close of where the HDD dropped onto(close to the CPU, as you've stated) in case you knocked off a capacitor or a SMD.
Sorry I didn't think that would be relevant to the question but it shows what I know, I am not home to take the photo or check all the parts I will get back to you tomorrow, from my description nothing pops out to you ?

Also sorry to pester but do you think in lamen terms you could explain to me why the components would matter?

And the system itself was only running for maybe 2 years before this happened