Pretty decent cpu and Gpu but i get bad frame drops every so often

Dec 22, 2018
About mid way this year i built a pc with an msi 1060.It ran pretty well but i decided i wanted to play new games that came out on max settings so i upgraded to an Aorus 1080 ti. However since i installed the new card i have had some issues with slow down, i downloaded afterburner to see how many frames im droping but it doesn't show any frame drops. when i play older games, like resident evil 6 i dont get any lag till after about a half hour of playing and then it freezes for about 3 seconds then keeps going smooth. recently i got Call of duty black ops 4 which is pretty new and the slow down was constant and basically unplayable. ill list my specs down below.

Intel Core i5 8600K Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.60 GHz Unlocked CPU Processor

Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 240mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI Z370-A PRO LGA 1151-2 ATX Motherboard

Corsair CX750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x 4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Memory Black

AOC G2460VQ6 24" Full HD 75Hz 1ms FreeSync Gaming Monitor

Windows ten

Also i noticed what i think to be a thermal pad sticking out of the side of the GPU, it looks weirdly out of place but here is a picture, im fairly new to pcs so it could be normal but just to be sure:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/217168449699446786/525885535424872458/image0.png?width=246&height=438

Any help would be appreciated, thanks fellas

Solution
I just realized something. You said you installed the new card, then downloaded the drivers and have been having issues. I can now tell you what your problem is. You didn't remove the 1060 drivers completely from your system, and this is causing conflicts with the 1080 Ti drivers. Try the program DDU in safe mode to remove all of your graphics drivers from your system, then boot normally and install the 1080 Ti drivers. The issue should go away.

Also, you shouldn't need to overclock your graphics card if you are playing at a resolution of 1920x1080p. The CPU would bottleneck in games first. Furthermore, because you have a 75hz monitor, any frames you achieve greater than 75 FPS will be dropped. This means, you should aim for games to...
A good idea is to run a quick benchmark to see if anything is amiss. I would run it 2-3 times to make sure if anything pops up as under performing, that it will constantly do so. The idea here isn't to set in stone the problem, but to see if something is optimized incorrectly. My best guess is the temps of your system are bad, and the best thing you could do is download msi afterburner, realtemp, and open them both while the benchmark runs. So you can see if your temps are too high. If it is above 80C on either you may have a problem.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/
https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-real-temp/

Dec 22, 2018

I did the benchmark, both cpu and gpu stayed around 50C, however usage was quite high for both cpu 100% and gpu about 90. Also when i played Call of duty i sometimes got temps of around 70 which im assuming is on the high side.

Dec 22, 2018
i thought i solved it, i definitely improved it by reinstalling new drivers however i still get pretty minuscule frame drops from 60 to about 51 that feels pretty choppy and also after about half an hour or so of playing i get extreme frame drops for about 2 to five seconds and then it returns to normal. very rarely the game im playing will crash.

Dec 22, 2018
i gave over clocking a go and it seemed to fix my frame issue, seems a bit dodgy that i had to do that, is it possible for them to have given me an under-clocked card or something? i also installed the driver booster thing and went through that but i overclocked and tried it afterwards before downloading the driver booster and it seemed fine.

I just realized something. You said you installed the new card, then downloaded the drivers and have been having issues. I can now tell you what your problem is. You didn't remove the 1060 drivers completely from your system, and this is causing conflicts with the 1080 Ti drivers. Try the program DDU in safe mode to remove all of your graphics drivers from your system, then boot normally and install the 1080 Ti drivers. The issue should go away.

Also, you shouldn't need to overclock your graphics card if you are playing at a resolution of 1920x1080p. The CPU would bottleneck in games first. Furthermore, because you have a 75hz monitor, any frames you achieve greater than 75 FPS will be dropped. This means, you should aim for games to be at 75 FPS. This will allow you to run your system cooler, at lower clock speeds to achieve the same effect.

Solution
Dec 22, 2018
alright i did that and i think its improved, i still get sketchy frames in call of duty but i hear the games poorly optimised, the other games i tried seem to work good, thanks a lot for your help i really appreciate it.

You're most welcome! If you have any more issues you can count on this site for sure!

Dec 22, 2018
the problems mostly fixed i think, i just got one more question i enable vsync in every game i play due to my refresh rate, is it normal for my pc to drop a few frames with vsync enabled for example from 60 to 57 thats the largest im pretty sure. sorry for reopening this thing i know its been a bit of a gauntlet.