(Pretty Urgent) My computer suddenly stopped sending a signal to the monitor.

ErickD24

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Hey everyone. I'm very disappointed with what's happening to my new computer. I just built it two days ago and suddenly, after performing flawlessly the last couple days, I clicked on something on my computer and the screen went gray. I restarted the computer, and now my monitor is getting no signal. I've tried many different things, like attempting to open the mobo's BIOS, but not even that is working. I tried pressing f8 to start in safe mode, but still nothing. Occasionally, I will see windows start to load (the blue windows sign on black screen with the loading circle), but right after it gives me a black screen. When it does that, however, it doesn't say no signal.

My system's specs
Windows 8.1
AsRock Fatal1ty h97 performance
EVGA Geforce GTX 970 Superclocked
8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram

Is it perhaps a motherboard problem? Maybe even my gpu or cpu? The monitor plugs directly in to my video card, so I have my eye mainly on that. I think it's odd that this would just happen out of nowhere. It's very disappointing...

P.S. There's a red light on my motherboard. I saw it every time the computer started up, but it just went away once the windows screen appeared. It's now just staying on the motherboard. Also, my keyboard light flashes on and off as if it is being connected and reconnected while the screen is blank. It's plugged directly into the motherboard, not the case.

All help is appreciated :(

ErickD24

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015

Are you sure? I don't want it to seem like I'm questioning your knowledge on the issue, it's just that I don't want to call AsRock and have them tell me to send it in, just to get a new motherboard and have the problem persist... That would be terrible.

sixbone

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
from what you say, lights flashing on your keyboard and you can't get into the BIOS, I seriously suspect the mobo. Contacting Asrock is your best bet, they will be able to verify with you over the phone whether or not the mobo is indeed bad.

ErickD24

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015

Just reseated everything, reset the CMOS, and tested it out without the graphics card. Computer worked fine. I plug the gpu back in, and the monitor to the gpu, and it doesn't work. I think we've narrowed it down ._.

Any way to troubleshoot? Or is it time to return the gpu? Also, is this due to anything I could have done? I handled the gpu with care and didn't do anything harmful to it. (Just making sure so I don't do it again.)

A driver did fail today for my gpu, but windows said the problem was resolved. I didn't think much of it, but now I think this might be connected. Thanks for replying

ErickD24

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Just an update, the graphics card is being returned. I tested the drivers and pcie slots and it's definitely the card. I'm getting a replacement soon. Thanks for the help everyone!