[SOLVED] Prevent windows update for good?

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have tried everything I can think of. Disabled update services, blocked a list of update URLs in the host file, and yet Windows still continues to update whenever the hell it wants. Last night it decided it's going to reboot for updates at midnight. Couldn't stop it, it just shut everything down and rebooted, losing my studio max project and installing more useless apps I have no use for like mixed reality portal and hp smart. I can't take these forced updates anymore. I'd happily go back down to 7 but my hardware wouldn't support it.

Is there anyway to absolutely stop windows updates? Too much of my dev work relies on windows software to switch to mac or linux, at least not for everything.

D

Deleted member 14196

Get windows server2019 and disable it through group policy. Thst or windows 10 enterprise edition. Very expensive though. Otherwise no there is no way to disable it. And by no way I mean no way

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft trying to make it impossible to do for a reason, they want everyone on latest version instead of strung out over 10 versions (this year would see version 10 of win 10 released, if they had numbered them that way...). Also stops them getting blamed for problems they had patched out a year before.

Are you on Home or Pro as I think GPEDIT might give pro more options.