Preventing Downloads.

Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users from
downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they use
requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are loaded with
spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is there
a registry key that will stop users from downloading?

Malke

Mike Kruzel wrote:

> Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users
> from
> downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they
> use requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are
> loaded with
> spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is
> there a registry key that will stop users from downloading?

If you have XP Pro you can use the Group Policy Editor and set very
fine-grained permissions. However, any administrator will be able to
change that. Suggestions:

1. See if the programs they use have any upgrades or workarounds to
enable the users to be Power Users or Limited Users. Contact the
software mftrs.' tech support for the information. You may be able to
just give permissions on a few registry keys instead of making the
users Administrators.

2. If #1 doesn't work, look for programs that are written properly and
switch.

3. If #1 and #2 aren't feasible, consider using third-party software
such as DeepFreeze from Faronics to reset your workstations every
night.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Mike Kruzel" <mike.kruzel@saintpaul.edu> wrote in message
> Is there a way to gray out the Run and Save options to prevent users
from
> downloading? We have a small lab of 5 machines and the software they
use
> requires them to have Administrator rights so the machines are loaded
with
> spyware and programs like Webroot Spysweeper and EmpirePoker etc. Is
there
> a registry key that will stop users from downloading?

Our software Folder Guard lets you revoke the "Allow to download files
with Internet Explorer" permission for some (or all) user accounts, as
described here:

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/users-guide_dlg-permissions-ie.htm

If you use some other web browser, you can stop downloads by configuring
appropriate file and folder permissions, for example:

http://www.winability.com/folderguard/restrict-downloads-opera.htm

Note that Folder Guard can protect both the Home and XP Editions of
Windows, on both NTFS and FAT/FAT32 drives.

--
HTH

Andrei Belogortseff
WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
"Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"