Preview: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 SOC Windforce 5X

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's just like asking why would lamborghini and ferrari make cars..

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
i'm more interrested in the amount noise it will produce. working on EMC vmax systems i know how much noise 8 X 40mm fans are capable of and i'm very optimistic, sounds like a mini jet on take off.

[citation][nom]fourzeronine[/nom]It has to be loud...[/citation]

Maybe, maybe not. Remember, with a heat sink this large, the fans might not need to push much air and thus might not need to spin quickly. Not spinning quickly means not much noise. Why don't you wait before passing judgement on a card that you've only seen pictures of?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]godmode[/nom]i'm more interrested in the amount noise it will produce. working on EMC vmax systems i know how much noise 8 X 40mm fans are capable of and i'm very optimistic, sounds like a mini jet on take off.[/citation]
I see you have never opened up your vmax though....The 40mm fans in your vmax are probably 60mm deep with 2 sets of blades made to push ungodly amounts of air noise be damned. They are fun fans to play with and draw like 25 watts a piece - MONSTERS.

The fans used on this card however are the much more tame (and arguably useless) 10mm deep 40mm variety. I don't think it is even possible to make that size fan loud haha

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]monkeymonk[/nom]it is an interesting theory, who knows maybe in a few years all gpu fans will be setup like this.[/citation]

I hope they aren't in the future haha. While I'm sure it works and does look pretty interesting, I love the "classic" sleek look of a 5970.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I see you have never opened up your vmax though....The 40mm fans in your vmax are probably 60mm deep with 2 sets of blades made to push ungodly amounts of air noise be damned. They are fun fans to play with and draw like 25 watts a piece - MONSTERS.The fans used on this card however are the much more tame (and arguably useless) 10mm deep 40mm variety. I don't think it is even possible to make that size fan loud haha[/citation]

yeah thats why i said (8) X 40mm. from the front it looks like it has 4 fans but each fan assembly have 2 sets of blades in each. i didn't expect anyone to know that here lol. in EMCs defence though it isn't that loud in a cool(ish) room.

draphius

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Gosh i see all these crazy air cooling slotuions and im just perplexed as to why companies spend so much money developing these quirky ideas when they could do a poor job at watercooling one and achieve much higher performance. it just saddens me that its so hard to find water blocks for these non reference designs. guess i need to build a cnc

[citation][nom]draphius[/nom]Gosh i see all these crazy air cooling slotuions and im just perplexed as to why companies spend so much money developing these quirky ideas when they could do a poor job at watercooling one and achieve much higher performance. it just saddens me that its so hard to find water blocks for these non reference designs. guess i need to build a cnc[/citation]

Water coolers are expensive. They are very expensive compared to air coolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.