Question Previously water damaged GTX 1070 - Cleaned up now getting power but no display?

Jwoodall

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi guys,

My brother spilt a glass of water into his computer around a year ago now. When switched on nothing happened and individual parts were never tested separately from what I can figure. I've just been cleaning the 1070 recently with methylated spirits in a last ditch attempt to fix the card. I just plugged it into my functioning machine and saw that the GPU was now partly functioning as the fan was running however no display received on the screen.

I just really wanted to ask for any advice going from here? Is the card broken or is there any further advice you would give?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If somebody tried to power the card on while it was wet or it was powered on when water was spilled on it there is a good chance it's dead or at least a few components have shorted and they are dead.

Assuming you know to plug your display cable into the back of the GPU and not the motherboard. And it has all the power cables it's needs installed. Etc.

Reactions: Jwoodall