Price/performance outlook over next year

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I'm receiving a new desktop and am considering getting it with a 2TB Samsung EVO. However, though prices have come down, these drives do still cost a lot of money.

Since it's a 2nd computer mostly for performance intensive work, and I'm actually not going to have much work to do during the next year, I wonder what I would get in terms of price/performance if I waited a few months.

Can anyone comment on what might lie ahead for the next year in terms of expected new technologies and/or other things that might greatly increase the value of drives available on the market? For example, if I waited this amount of time, might there be same Ultra Octane 4D drive with 2TB twice as fast as fastest now for half the price?

Just looking for general info on what to expect I could get if I waited a year instead of spending 650 bucks right now.

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
When I look at charts of SSD prices, I don't see much change over the last year and half. According to the historical trend shown in the following chart, I might expect only a 15% drop in prices over the next year. https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/

Are there any interesting new technologies on the horizon that would make next year different from last?