Price & Reliability of SSDs

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
First off, is the price of SSDs likely to come down more steeply in the coming year or are we going to see the same sort of slow, gradual decline as we have so far? Hopefully people with knowledge of the industry peruse these forums.

I plan to build a new rig in the next few months, and if a big price drop is approaching, I'd like to know about it. ... this might just be wishful thinking but if anyone out there can fill me in, please do!

My second question is about reliability, how do SSDs, (say, from Kingston) compare with conventional disc drives in general?

Solution
Question 1: No, there aren't any real big price drops that would happen anytime soon. For example, Intel's SSD are still in short supply which keeps the prices higher than they should be. There may be a price drop, but it would surely for older MLC drives, and imho some of the older drives really aren't worth their cost.

Question 2: People and manufacturer's say that it should last a few years, but SSD's aren't really old enough for us to determine how much more reliable they are.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Question 1: No, there aren't any real big price drops that would happen anytime soon. For example, Intel's SSD are still in short supply which keeps the prices higher than they should be. There may be a price drop, but it would surely for older MLC drives, and imho some of the older drives really aren't worth their cost.

Question 2: People and manufacturer's say that it should last a few years, but SSD's aren't really old enough for us to determine how much more reliable they are.

Solution