Prices of CRTs

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Hi everyone,
I don't know if you've noticed, but CRTs are surprisingly expensive on ebay. I'm guessing there must still be a demand for them, and since they're not produced anymore, they're getting rarer.
But seriously though, what does anyone use them for?

Not complaining though, since I have like eight of them:D

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Ebay prices are just stupid on most things. CRT's I tossed out nearly 100 of those about 3 months ago when they had a recycling event and waivered the disposal fee, I really can't think of a use for them anymore other than some 3rd world country that can't afford newer tech.

Due to their analog nature, they don't buffer input and have basically zero input lag inherently. They also have instantaneous response time and much lower perceived motion blur compared to an LCD.

They're also incredibly expensive to ship, so you can't really just sell them for $25 and turn a profit like that.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
There are a few quality CRT displays out there that I could see being worth the investment as they can be hacked and run reasonable high resolutions at around 120hz. The issue is most all of that crap on eBay is just low end garbage from OEM's that people tossed out or asked $2 at a flea market. The large majority of CRT's are just a horrid experience for modern games and really not worth the added bulk.

$150 for a old dell screen.. lol yeah right.