Primary Master boot error

YOGISH T H M

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hello all, My PC won't bootup with my new IDE HDD connected: Here's how it started.
I have Intel celeron mother board and 2 ATA IDE HDD (40 GB Primary slave & 250 GB primary master). OS is run by 40 GB and things were fine untill recently I had this PC slowing down or hanging on long use. After consulting one of PC experts, it was the SMPS that was causing over heating in power supply. I replaced SMPS and the moment I did, PC won't start.
1st time it gave the Error: Primary boot error.
2nd time it did'nt even start with booting sequence, HDD led started getting blurr and then nothing. restarted many times, with no use and even it wont appear in BIOS Setup (WD HDD 250GB).

I disconnected 250 GB (no jumper) without disturbing jumper on 40 GB hdd and it booted up normally and I could work. but when i connected 250 GB back, the same problem (intel screen appears and HDD led blurr again).
I have gone through comments on this forum for possible reason and checked the ribbon cable and power cable.
MY DOUBT: something happened to 250 GB HDD while power connection cable plugged into it........ not sure though.........?????????

Now almost all the useful and important data is stored in 250 GB HDD, and I need them back accessed. Any precious help on the following:

1. Can I recover my DATA?
2. What else I missed or made wrong while replacing SMPS?
3. Can I install windows xp newly on 250GB HDD (on free partition) using XP CD through CD bootup, but it won't even gets detected in BIOS set up.
4. What else can I do?
5. can I recover data by using IDE/ATA to USB cable convertor?

Verify your cable connections to the drives (power and data). If it still isn't recognized by the BIOS, try the drives individually to see if both can be seen by the BIOS. If the 250GB drive isn't recognized when installed without the other drive - it may be jumper settings on the drive. You can try installing the drive in a USB enclosure/docking station to see if it can be recognized (BIOS may not see it - but Windows should).

The hard drives you have are getting there in age - exact replacements may be difficult to find. Give their age - I would suggest replacing the drives.

YOGISH T H M

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Hi, ronin, thnx a lot for your valuable info, I will give it a try. One more thing is it possible of short circuit bcoz of reverse polarity while connecting power source to HDD??? I doubt it.... anyways, age of 40GB - 9yrs and of 250GB - 4yrs. can you plz send picture of USB docking stn or enclosure, is it some kind of convertor with which we can connect IDE through USB as in flash drive? is that what u meant?? plz reply

External enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182153
Docking station: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Drive-Docking-Station-2-5in/dp/B002UAR8JY

The external enclosure is a more "permanent" solution - you physically install the drive into the unit, and use a USB cable to connect to the computer.

The docking station is a temporary connection - useful for transferring data from a drive to a new one. I have a docking station that I use when people upgrade their hard drives, it makes for quick work.

YOGISH T H M

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Yes it is not possible to connect it in reverse coz of its shape and alignment. But there was a cable pin replacement from SATA flat pin to ATA IDE 4 pin power connector, where the cables into connector might got reversed......again not sure though... if such is the case, then is it possible for physical failure???? I hope not..... Will the jumper setting do the magic in such case.... right now jumper is set at 2nd position from ribbon cable side for 40GB and no jumper at all in 250 GB (not connected). Now what can i try from the following.
1. connect only 250 GB hdd and set the jumper (if so, then which position from which side)
2. use ide to usb converter cable to connect 250GB hdd and extract all data into another HDD of suitable capacity (I hope in this case 250GB drive works as Pen drive "my understanding").

Though i am not a computer geek, i would like to know how can I extract all my data from 250 GB HDD.....
Plz plz plz plz plz......................any one explain the procedure in step by step mode. plz plz plz plz........don;t wanna loose even a single file on that drive.......!!!!!!!!!

The simple way - install the drive into the enclosure, then plug in power and connect the USB to the computer. It should appear as a new drive on the system (provided the drive is working).

Once connected, just right click the folders you want to copy, choose "copy", then go to the destination drive where you want to put the folder, and right click, choose "paste". The data will transfer.

YOGISH T H M

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
The drive is working i suppose, coz i hear the spin and at start lil interruption and then continuously spin. i have read in other posts about controller card, is that the one which has 40 pin ribbon cable connect, jumper pins, and power pins???? is there any chance of its failure coz of power surge due to wrong wire set in power connecter(as earlier I told). waiting to get the product i ordered, once recieved I will check as u told. Thanks again.