Question Primary monitor sometimes @60hz instead of 240hz after reboot & secondary monitor disabled?

Apr 26, 2021
Hi, so I did a clean install of windows about a month ago and kinda since then am experiencing the issue that after starting my pc (not every time but often) my primary 240hz monitor sits at 60hz and my secondary monitor is disabled. So everytime I experience this bug I have to go to windows settings, enable my second monitor as well as putting my primary back to 240hz View: https://imgur.com/a/XvcOoqk
- In Nvidia settings my primary monitor sitesa at 1920x1080 res under "Ultra HD, HD, SD" instead of "PC" where there is only 60hz in the dropdown menue View: https://imgur.com/a/UJTu7v0
. Furtheremore my wallpaper that I use on my second monitor only resets to the same I use on my primary. Updated to the very last NVIDIA drivers as well - no chance. My monitors are obv. connected to my gpu via display port, cables sit tightly and I assume should not be broken since it works perfectly after I enable the settings again and is only an issue after my clean install. Drivers in general should be all up to date. Gonna give some more detail now in case it's important, if I forgot to mention sth. just ask, kinda desperate since I tried a lot I found out here in the internet to no avail. Thx in advance.

Info:

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Betriebssystembuild 19042.928

Leistung Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

GPU: Nvidia Gforce RTX 2080

Driver Version: 466.11 DCH (only display / physx / usbc driver, no audio or gforce experience)

CPU: Intel I9 9900k 3.6GHz

Primary Monitor:

25" (63,50cm) AOC AGON AG251FZ black 1920x1080
Secondary Monitor:

24,5" (62,23cm) AOC G2590PX black/red 1920x1080

PS: I got two gyazo gifs showing my issue well, but it wont let me post them. If there is a legit way to share gifs / screenshots plz lmk since I am new here and it would be quite useful I guess :D

PPS: Imgur links added!

EDIT: Using VESA Certified DP Cables has (thus far) solved the issue. Hopefully it stays that way and wasn't just a coincidence. If it was I will update again but hopefully will not have to D:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021
We don't host the pictures here, thus the instructions previously provided.
yes I know, gyazo I also a site that hosts these screenshots / gifs. but links to that site seem to be marked as spam, which they shouldn't be since it's same type of site as imgur, prntscrn... etc. (or maybe it's cuz my account kinda new that I can't post links) But will follow the instructions and try to use imgur, just a headsup that gyazo aint a malicious site either!

Apr 26, 2021
for high Hz monitors, try some high-graded or certified cables, best option is DP 1.4 with HBR3
was recommended that on reddit too and now done that, bought two vesa certified ones. hope they make the cut. just weird af cuz my current ones never had the same issue pre clean install.

Apr 26, 2021
just got the same error again after rebooting, nothing past few days :( guess I celebrated too early.

looks like I fixed it by activating display scaling instead of gpu scaling for both monitors in nvidia panel. dunno why I had gpu scaling on in first place, since that stuff has a bit more input lag afaik than display scaling as long as display is decent which mine are

TRENDING THREADS