Prime 95 rounding Error FX 8350 stock settings.

Afterl1fe

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hello Everyone. I just bought a new PC and I'm having rounding errors in Prime95 at stock settings after about 30 minutes.

Specs: AMD FX 8350 8core Black Edition 4.0Ghz Unlocked.
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 (Updated to latest F4 Bios)
Memory: G.skill 2x(8GB) 16 GB Total 1.5v DDR3 Cas Latency 9ns (In Dual CH)
Drive 1: Samsung 840 series SSD Drive 2: Toshiba 2 TB HDD
GPU: Geforce 660 TI OC
Cooler: Coolermaster Seidon 120M Water Cooling
PSU: IN WIN GreenMe 650 650W ATX 12V V2.31& EPS 12V 2.92 Version SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I ran Memtest86+ to see if my memory was the issue and no errors were reported.

I notice that if I try to overclock my CPU with the multiplier by about 200Mhz (4.2Ghz) I instantly BSOD in prime 95, if I bump the vcore up and 4 cores fail the test and stop working almost instantly in P95 the only thing that I have noticed that keeps it from erroring is to set the LLC to extreme however, when I do that my voltage fluctuates up to 1.5 volts and my temps rise into the 80C area quite
quickly.

So what's the issue here? Could my motherboard or CPU be bad? Has anyone had issues with the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 FX 8350 Combo?

I don't crash in CPU intensive games when I'm at stock settings or anything like that I'm just worried that something is wrong because I can't pass prime95 on stock settings. I'm also worried that I may have damaged my CPU when I first received my PC because when it was assembled, the cooler power plug wasn't connected properly to the board and no power was getting to the cooling system, so it overheated and then powered down I think the chip got to about 90+C somewhere in that area. Did my chip get damaged? I know the cooling block that sits on top of my unit was absorbing heat so it isn't like it was without any heat transfer at all... I might also add that I can pass IntelBurnTest with absolutely no problems at all. What gives?!

I want to replace the faulty hardware that is causing the issue but I'm not sure if it's mobo/cpu or my psu? Or even if it's faulty at all just a bad combo of components. Any help would be appreciated.

Steps I have taken:
1. Reseated my ram.
2. Checked all connections to my mobo.
3. Removed all cooling devices and reseated CPU, replaced thermal paste with AS5.
4. Reseated Cooling block.
5. Cleared CMOS with the jumpers on the mobo
6. Updated Bios to latest version.
7. Memtest86+ (All Passed)
8. Removed power to extra side cooling fans (Extra power for my CPU to work with)

I tried to leave as many details as possible Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Afterl1fe

Honorable
May 2, 2013
*** Update*** I Increased the voltage by 1 step on my cpu... I don't know why the stock voltage wasn't stable but I've been running p95 for about 3 hours and no errors on everything else stock but the vcore voltage... Running stable, max temp on full load is 58C and holding no errors! problem solved and I'm moderately satisfied.... If anyone finds my post on google with the same mobo for record just increase your cpu voltage by 1 step. Problem solved.

ManOfSparta

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I had the same problem with different mobo GA-990XA-UD3 Rev 1.0 by following your post my problem is solved

Tony il Capo

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
THANK YOU

That was also my problem, thanks to you is now solved.
I have the FX8350 in a ASUS M5A9R2.0 and I had tried to change memory speed/timings and other bios settings but no luck. Then I found this, raised vcore by 0.05v and now runs prime95 stable. No errors.

Thanks again. :)

TRENDING THREADS