Question Prime 95 Rounding Error

Mar 14, 2019
First of all I have not overlocked anything, but I've seen people here talk about it in their scenarios so maybe somebody could help.
In order to figure out a BSOD, I got advice from a software mod in which we did a memtest, HDD test, SSD test and a CPU test which all passed apart from Prime 95.
Prime 95 gives me a rounding error where it expects a value less than 4 but it was at 5.
We figured it could be to do with voltages but apart from that were stuck. Could anyone explain this?
My specs :
Intel I3 - 8100
Gigabite H310 M A
G.Skill RipJaws V series 8gb Ram DDR4 (2400)
Western Digital 1TB HDD
GTX 1050TI
Corsair CXM (2015) 450Watt 80+ Bronze PSU
Kingston 240GB SSD
Again I can't even overclock the cpu and I haven't ever tried. The Cpu voltage according to bios is set to Auto but runs at 1.020V and the Ram is also on auto which runs at 1.212V

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Auto settings for voltage should be fine for an i3-8100. You can certainly try increasing the core voltage offset a little to see if that increases stability. It is possible that it isn't getting enough power under Prime95, which is a very heavy test, also not a typical load.

But if you are having bluescreens, what software is running when that happens? Need to rule out a software problem before you tackle the hardware.

Power supplies can often lead to unusual behavior, monitor the 12V+ when you are running prime95, if it dips below 11.4 or so that could be the cause.

You should get some information from the Windows logs regarding what happened just before the bluescreen.

If you haven't yet obtained the latest BIOS and drivers for the motherboard, that is also another good thing to do. I can't tell you how often my system problems came down to out of date audio drivers.

Mar 14, 2019
Auto settings for voltage should be fine for an i3-8100. You can certainly try increasing the core voltage offset a little to see if that increases stability. It is possible that it isn't getting enough power under Prime95, which is a very heavy test, also not a typical load.

But if you are having bluescreens, what software is running when that happens? Need to rule out a software problem before you tackle the hardware.

Power supplies can often lead to unusual behavior, monitor the 12V+ when you are running prime95, if it dips below 11.4 or so that could be the cause.

You should get some information from the Windows logs regarding what happened just before the bluescreen.

If you haven't yet obtained the latest BIOS and drivers for the motherboard, that is also another good thing to do. I can't tell you how often my system problems came down to out of date audio drivers.
Bios is F12 (Latest), The BSOD's occured mainly in standby (the % never moded up so couldn't get dumps) but one of them was during playing CSGO which I am pretty sure this system shouldn't be struggling with. We did also think It could be the PSU so idk. But I believe WH info looked okay. But I guess I can run that while doing the prime test to check.
What's the best way to get the best audio drivers? Since I think I installed the motherboard ones first but then I may have updated them through Driver Easy.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Windows logs would still be preserved without the dump file. It will have recorded everything up to the point of failure as normal. Event logs, Application logs are of interest.

Well, I wouldn't trust a third party driver tool. Simply go to Gigabyte's website and download the latest drivers from them.

I show F2 for the latest BIOS on the H310M A

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-A-20-rev-10#support-dl-driver

You could also reliably go to chipset manufacturer's like Realtek for things like audio drivers. They will release before the motherboard vendor, however, you could be pre-empting Gigabyte's testing. On rare occasions I have pulled the latest Intel graphics drivers rather than use the motherboard's suggestion.

Reactions: REVLX