Question prime 95 test freeze

May 29, 2019
hi i am trying to oc my ryzen 2600 above 4.0 ghz but my system locks up when i oc to 4.1 during i.b.t. when cpu temps reach about 70-77

May 29, 2019
mobo taichi x470
ram gskill flare x cl14 3200mhz
psu Roswell 850w 80+ gold
oc through bios
and says" intel burn test" the stress test i am performing to check stability
i believe it might be temps but cant figure out why it would freeze before reaching max temp but it never went above 77 before freezing

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
IBT is for checking temps, it kinda sucks for stability. Asus RealBench is for testing stability. That said, the fact that even IBT is balking at the OC means 1 of 2 things. You are either doing something wrong on the OC (just bumping vcore and multiplier isn't good for OC) or you've hit the silicon lottery winner cpu.

Amd and Intel both, only guarantee their boost clocks. ANYthing after/above that is pot-luck. There's no guarantee your cpu will ever get or be stable at 4.0GHz, no matter what any idiot with a camera is getting on YouTube.

May 29, 2019
IBT is for checking temps, it kinda sucks for stability. Asus RealBench is for testing stability. That said, the fact that even IBT is balking at the OC means 1 of 2 things. You are either doing something wrong on the OC (just bumping vcore and multiplier isn't good for OC) or you've hit the silicon lottery winner cpu.

Amd and Intel both, only guarantee their boost clocks. ANYthing after/above that is pot-luck. There's no guarantee your cpu will ever get or be stable at 4.0GHz, no matter what any idiot with a camera is getting on YouTube.
i am stable at 4.0 no problem just want to get alittle more can run cinebench at 4.2 but not completely stable just trying to figure out why it is freezing with out hitting max temps and no bsod

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Freezing/crashing is an expected part of overclocking. It means you need to either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed. This is very basic overclocking knowledge, if you weren't aware of this you may want to go read some overclocking guides before you continue.

May 29, 2019
Freezing/crashing is an expected part of overclocking. It means you need to either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed. This is very basic overclocking knowledge, if you weren't aware of this you may want to go read some overclocking guides before you continue.
but my issue was it was freezing not crashing usually means that you can get past it and it wasn't because of thermal so i knew it could go further just never thought it was because my ram wanted 0.05v more currently at 4.15 ghz still testing stability but looks good

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
but my issue was it was freezing not crashing usually means that you can get past it and it wasn't because of thermal so i knew it could go further just never thought it was because my ram wanted 0.05v more currently at 4.15 ghz still testing stability but looks good
Not sure what you mean by "get past it". And yes, it is entirely possible to be unstable despite having good temps.

You're typically better off overclocking CPU first and making sure it's stable before starting on RAM OC. Some people will even disable RAM XMP and run it at 2133 while testing CPU stability.

May 29, 2019
Not sure what you mean by "get past it". And yes, it is entirely possible to be unstable despite having good temps.

You're typically better off overclocking CPU first and making sure it's stable before starting on RAM OC. Some people will even disable RAM XMP and run it at 2133 while testing CPU stability.
you should really read the above posts already got cpu stable 4.125ghz