Question Prime or ROG?

Nov 8, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm lost at two Asus motherboard series, the prime and ROG. My usages for the motherboard ,which I'm gonna buy, are gaming and video editing. So, if anyone have enough experience at these two series, would you please help me figure out which series I should buy?

Thanks a million.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at what series a mobo is in is probably the last thing I'd look at. I doubt a particular series even has a consistent feature set across different chipsets/sockets.

Your choice of motherboard typically has little to no impact on performance. It may affect overclock-ability and storage speed/options though.

As said above, look for a board that has the features you need, who cares what the model name is.

Reactions: Harkan_beleaf
Nov 8, 2019
Feature wise, do they both cover your needs? Also, what kind of CPU and other components are you using? Important question is any plans to overclock?

Thank u for your reply. Personally, I'd buy a Core i9 series with 32 GB of RAM and powerful Nvidia Graphic card with low size SSD and 1 or 2 TBs for HDD.

And no. I don't use overclocking.

Nov 8, 2019
Looking at what series a mobo is in is probably the last thing I'd look at. I doubt a particular series even has a consistent feature set across different chipsets/sockets.

Your choice of motherboard typically has little to no impact on performance. It may affect overclock-ability and storage speed/options though.

As said above, look for a board that has the features you need, who cares what the model name is.

Thank u for your reply. I do believe of what you said about motherboard models. But, I really wanted to know which series supports both features which I've mentioned.

And, as I've said before I don't use overclocking.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Thank u for your reply. Personally, I'd buy a Core i9 series with 32 GB of RAM and powerful Nvidia Graphic card with low size SSD and 1 or 2 TBs for HDD.

And no. I don't use overclocking.
Literally any current motherboard you can buy will support 32GB of RAM, any graphics card you want, and multiple storage drives.

What exact i9 do you want to get? What will this PC be used for?

Nov 8, 2019
Literally any current motherboard you can buy will support 32GB of RAM, any graphics card you want, and multiple storage drives.

What exact i9 do you want to get? What will this PC be used for?

The most sensible one in terms of price and in terms of motherboard support.

U know that asus releases a list of hardware which will be supported by the released motherboard. And based on that list I'll find the best CPU based on my own expectaions.

My usage, as it was mentioned at the beginning of the thread, is for playing games and edit videos with powerful softwares such as Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effect and etc.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
U know that asus releases a list of hardware which will be supported by the released motherboard. And based on that list I'll find the best CPU based on my own expectaions.
You shouldn't buy a motherboard first and then base your choice of CPU around that. It should be the other way around.

If you want an i9 I wouldn't go with Z370. Z390 was released for 9th gen CPUs, and generally features better VRMs for handling the 8 core i9s. Although if you're not going to be overclocking then VRMs don't matter quite as much (unless you get something like a 9900KS).

Why exactly do you want a Prime or ROG branded board?

Edit: Here's a basic Z390 board (but an Asus Prime as you desired) that should still be fine:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $564.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 18:19 EST-0500

Last edited:
Reactions: Harkan_beleaf
Nov 8, 2019
You shouldn't buy a motherboard first and then base your choice of CPU around that. It should be the other way around.

If you want an i9 I wouldn't go with Z370. Z390 was released for 9th gen CPUs, and generally features better VRMs for handling the 8 core i9s. Although if you're not going to be overclocking then VRMs don't matter quite as much (unless you get something like a 9900KS).

Why exactly do you want a Prime or ROG branded board?

Edit: Here's a basic Z390 board (but an Asus Prime as you desired) that should still be fine:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $564.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 18:19 EST-0500

Thanks for the system builder and the link.

And to answer your question, I said in the beginning that I want a system to support both gaming and video editing.