Question Prime95 error on stock Ryzen 2600

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
Hi all,

I've been playing around with fan placements to try and see how much my Ryzen 2600 will automatically boost. I realize the non-x variants don't have precision boost, but I've gotten a few cores to simultaneously boost to 3.8GHz with better fan placement, which is just under the 3.9 on the box. I typically play around with Prime95, Real Bench, and Cinebench. I was running a Prime95 blender last night for about 5 minutes when I got a fatal rounding error (rounding > the expected value of 4) on worker 2. CPU temp in CoreTemp was around 75*C. I have not had any BSODs or other behavior indicative of a problem, so could this fatal error just be a fluke? I also ran 1 pass of Memtest86 without any errors this morning, so I'm thinking, if there is an issue, it's not my RAM.

Configuration:
CPU: Ryzen 2600
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3000MHz. The sticker has 15-17-17-35 timings, but I'm running 16-17-17-35 because from what I've read, Ryzen doesn't like odd CAS. The RAM is not on the QVL.
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580
PSU: Seasonic Focus gold 650
Prime95: Ver 29.4 build 8

The only non-stock setting in my BIOS is the enabled auto DOCP for the RAM.
  1. Do I have anything to worry about, or is there another test I can do to see if I truly have a problem?
  2. I've read that people suggest using version 26.6 (or anything below 29) with Ryzen but don't quite understand why. Could it have something to do with AVX?
  3. I also read that sometimes line load calibration helps with these issues, but I figured that was mainly for overclocks.
Thanks!

P95/Blended mode shifts lots of data in and out of RAM...

You might try some extended Memtest86 runs looking for errors, but, precious few Ryzen mainboards and/or processors are typically running much above 3200 MHz on RAM speeds anyway, or so I'd read...

If programs are crashing, that's not acceptable to most folks...; let's get RAM down to more conservative clock speeds/ timings until we have some stability....

phdibart

Reputable
Nov 21, 2018
P95/Blended mode shifts lots of data in and out of RAM...

You might try some extended Memtest86 runs looking for errors, but, precious few Ryzen mainboards and/or processors are typically running much above 3200 MHz on RAM speeds anyway, or so I'd read...

If programs are crashing, that's not acceptable to most folks...; let's get RAM down to more conservative clock speeds/ timings until we have some stability....

mdd1963, are you suggesting I adjust the RAM timings or frequency? I'm not getting any crashes or other problems. The prime95 error was the first error I've had since building this machine 6 months ago.