Prime95: Failed hardware for core #2 and #7?

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Is this flat out telling me that my Processor is defective? I installed a brand new processor (AMD 8350 8core), GTX 950 2GB graphics card, and 4X4 RAM jigsaw x and I've dealt with issue after issue. Most recent being BSOD (Corrupted_Expool) and random restarts. So I tried this test to see if it'd help me identify the issue and I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Solution
CPU-Z doesn't alter anything, just puts a load on the CPU, like all benchmarking tools.

I would guess your stability issues come from a lack of voltage to the overclocked CPU. A reset to factory defaults should take care of the crashing, and 200Mhz isn't going to make a huge difference anyway.

Of more concern is the memory, which may be misbehaving at the current settings. It will default back to 1333, so you will have to use the XMP or AMP profiles to run it at 1600.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What about the temperatures of the cores? Any that are a lot higher then the others? Is the CPU cooler firmly affixed?

Power supply large enough?

Motherboard adequate for powering a 125W CPU? Some of the lower end 970 boards don't do well past 95W (FX6300 or FX8370E).

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
This is a list of my specs thru CPU-Z: http://valid.x86.fr/xq1dn1 plus a CX750M. The Processor, 212 hyper EVO, graphics card, RAM, AND Power Supply were all upgraded about 2-3 weeks ago...The CPU Cooler is firmly affixed, I downloaded Core Temp and saved a screenshot but Im not sure where to upload it---and it I didn't see individual temps?

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Im also getting BSOD (Corrupted Expool) and just an hour ago I got a BSOD (System_service_Exception), and a few random restarts. All drivers and updates, up-to-date. I stay with Windows 8.1 because any higher and I can't use my recording program.

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I am so unfamiliar with the specifics of overclocking, the most I've done is use ASUS's BIOS screen to switch from "Energy saving" to "performance", and I'm pretty sure it's on energy saving now because of all these issues I've had...I did have AI Suite which also gave an option to over-clock "FAST" or "Very FAST" and I DID do very fast to observe and possibly utilize the results but further research lead me to believe that AI SUITE is pointless and can cause problems itself...
If my shits overclocked to the extent you say, can you help me tune it down? I may not be saavy in the arts OF overclocking, but I can definitely work my way around a computer otherwise...so following direction would be easy.
I was also able to eliminate one of my BSOD (so far), being SYSTEM_EXCEPTION_ERROR. Research lead me to learning that there has been known issues with the updated driver of "ASMEDIA USB 3.0 HOST CONTROLLER" so I downgraded my driver to Windows' version and I Haven't had an issue with it since I did that last night. But I've got a feeling this was just a symptom to larger problem....or a cpl seperate issues entirely. I've been damn near working around the clock trying to solve this issue(s) for near 2 weeks. Frustration Maxed Out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well stock FX-8350 should be 4.0 with a max boost of 4.2Ghz. Your are pushing 4.4Ghz. Also the base clock should default to 200Mhz you are at 216.7Mhz (which would account for the ~4.4Ghz maximum).

Also memory has been fiddled with. DDR3-1600 is running at 1444 (200x6.67 = 1333Mhz) (216.7 = ~1440Mhz) Should be 200mhz x 8 for 1600Mhz.

I would reset your BIOS to factory defaults if you don't want to overclock. Otherwise you should post a thread about overclocking your system and get an AMD expert (I am not much of one, despite my badges)

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I'm also new to CPU-Z so this may be a dumb question...but, I "bench-marked" and "stress-tested" with CPU-Z so could the results your seeing be a result of CPU-Z's program pushing my computer to the max, and not what I run on a normal day?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU-Z doesn't alter anything, just puts a load on the CPU, like all benchmarking tools.

I would guess your stability issues come from a lack of voltage to the overclocked CPU. A reset to factory defaults should take care of the crashing, and 200Mhz isn't going to make a huge difference anyway.

Of more concern is the memory, which may be misbehaving at the current settings. It will default back to 1333, so you will have to use the XMP or AMP profiles to run it at 1600.

Solution

JayRosa

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Soooo...About a month ago I pressed "O.C. Tuner" In Bios and it reset, went to Windows. Didn't notice a huge difference. But what I didn't do what go back into bios and turn it off. I put my ram at 1333 (Average use now 800-1000Mhz) so that clearly helped, and my CPU is down to about 1400-1500 Mhz with the ocassional jump to 4000+ Mhz (Is that normal>? How it randomly spikes up a cpl Ghz?) But this clearly helped my Overclocking problem, thank you.
Now I have to wait the next cpl days and see if the extent of Overclocking my computer was taking was the culprit to my other BSOD (Expool) and the random restarts. I have high hopes.