[SOLVED] Prime95 help

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
have no problems with the PC, no crashes while gaming etc. temps are really good, while gaming they sit between 50 and 60C

when i try and stress test using prime95 using the small FFTS with avx-512, avx2 and avx all disabled the PC will crash right away it gave me a bsod with the error as IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL which i believe is a memory problem? i ran windows memory diagnostic which came back fine, i tried running it again which didn't give me a bsod it took me to bios which said rom image is not loaded and rom image update denied

question is should i just leave it the way it is and not worry about prime95?

cheers

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24927433

pc specs

i7 8700K @ 4.9 @1.275v
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition w/ iCX Cooler
In-Win 303 Mid Tower Case - White
Gigabyte GA-Z370-AORUS ULTRA GAMING
800W Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM
2 x 8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3000Mhz DDR4 Ram
256gb samsung 970 evo plus
1TB samsung 970 evo plus
Seagate 3.5" 4TB Enterprise Capacity 7200RPM
Thermaltake: Floe Riing -360 RGB TT Premium Edition

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You ran P95 correctly configured for testing CPU stability and thermal performance.

Repeat the test using Blend, which will stress your Memory Modules. If you get the same error, increase Vcore in 20 millivolts (0.020) increments and repeat the test. Alternatively, you can reduce your overclock by 100MHz. If the error no longer occurs, then the problem is likely being caused by CPU instability due to insufficient Core voltage.

You can also download and run Memtest86 which is a fundamental utility for thoroughly testing memory stability without running Windows, which eliminates memory utilization by the O.S. and allows 100% of the memory to be tested.

Also, Asus RealBench is an excellent utility which will test your entire rig for stability.

CT :sol:

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
You ran P95 correctly configured for testing CPU stability and thermal performance.

Repeat the test using Blend, which will stress your Memory Modules. If you get the same error, increase Vcore by 20 millivolts (0.020) increments and repeat the test. Alternatively, you can reduce your overclock by 100MHz. If the error no longer occurs, then the problem is likely being caused by CPU instability due to insufficient Core voltage.

You can also download and run Memtest86 which is a fundamental utility for thoroughly testing memory stability without running Windows, which eliminates memory utilization by the O.S. and allows 100% of the memory to be tested.

Also, Asus RealBench is an excellent utility which will test your entire rig for stability.

CT :sol:

cheers for your reply CT had no errors when using blend on prime95, had a few of the tests as pass's then the whole PC randomly restarted, no bsod

Will it pass at Prime95/small FFTs at all-core clock speeds of 4.8 GHz? Or 4.7 GHz? (Some live with the 'works in games, but not Cinebench or Prime95 or Blender' status, but, that is their choice...; in my opinion, if it won't run those applications , well, it simply is ....not stable)

Everyone's 8700K fantasy in back in late 2017 was stable all core 5 GHz operation, which not every CPU is capable of...

As it crashes right away, it might be overcome by LLC tinkering, lowering cache access clock speed ratio, and/or perhaps more core voltage, which unfortunately adversely affects temps as well....

61C is a nice low temp for Prime95/small FFTs...

Unfortunately, adequate headroom on temps does not mean the CPU-A will run at 'X' clock speed on 'y' core voltage at 'z' plethora of potential BIOS settings. I'd look for a review that included OCing with your mainboard, as they often mention every last setting used for a particular OC achieved....or should

Reactions: CompuTronix

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
tbh id say i just didn't do the overclock correctly, even when overclocked temps never went over 60, might leave it non overclocked for now and see how i go, ill have a good look before i next try over clock lol