Question Prime95 stability test

Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

I left the Prime95 RAM stress test (Large FFTs, built-in option) overnight. I used HWINFO for the log of RAM usage. I previously detected hardware issue with my previous RAM kit this way, so I thought to give it a go another time.

However, when leaving overnight (8+ hours), Prime95 gradually started using less and less RAM! My RAM space is 16GB and Windows is eating about 2GB, so available space RAM is about 14GB. However, when I stopped Prime95, it was using around 6-7GB of RAM.

Is this a normal behavior? How do I properly stress my RAM using Prime95?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would use Memtest86 like said above or SuperPi 24million for RAM stability testing, I don't know anyone who uses P95 for RAM testing never done it myself.

Personally I just use games, BF5 showed me RAM instability that was not present in either of the programs I mentioned. I run a 3200mhz CL16-18-18-36 1.35V kit. Recently I tried out CL15-15-15-34 3200mhz, was totally stable in memtest and super pi, did several passes in memtest. However it was not stable in BF5 had freezing issues and audio would just cut out randomly weirdly enough, wouldn't work again until I restarted.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead