Question prime95 stops after 23 HOURS on stock settings

Dec 1, 2020
Hello
asus rog z490 e
10700k (temps around 75c)

I was testing my cpu on prime 95 -small ftts with avx fully on .
All my bios settings are on stock and I use latest update of bios .
I was going to test for 24 hours .But unfortunately two of the workers stopped at exactly 23 hours.
They said 'hardware failure detected' with one rounding error ( rounding was x expected less than y).
I'm sure my memory sticks are fine. Because I used two different types of mems -borrowed from a friend to test
What does this mean? Can it mean that my CPU is bad? Or is this something normal? I really don’t know what the problem is and if I should get the cpu exchanged .

update : linpack extreme stoped after an hour

Last edited:
I've had a known bad stick of RAM and Prime95 ran for 21 hours before it crashed. I was alerted to the bad stick by F@H, which wouldn't stay running for more than a couple hours at a time. Identified the bad stick, sent the kit back for RMA. New kit works perfect.

Seems like Prime95 (and others like Memtest) can't access very much RAM at a time, so it takes FOREVER for these programs to each all the bits in todays' high (>8GB) RAM systems. You can improve your hit rate by testing the system with only a single stick of RAM installed.

Dec 1, 2020
Hello
asus rog z490 e
10700k (temps around 75c)

I was testing my cpu on prime 95 -small ftts with avx fully on .
All my bios settings are on stock and I use latest update of bios .
I was going to test for 24 hours .But unfortunately two of the workers stopped at exactly 23 hours.
They said 'hardware failure detected' with one rounding error ( rounding was x expected less than y).
I'm sure my memory sticks are fine. Because I used two different types of mems -borrowed from a friend to test
What does this mean? Can it mean that my CPU is bad? Or is this something normal? I really don’t know what the problem is and if I should get the cpu exchanged .

update : linpack extreme stoped in 20 mins

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i have seen cases of benchmarks crashing at late stage (like 10hrs+) it's often because of ram / mobo overheating. can you try to slap a fan pushing air on top of the ram and test again ? just temporarly in order to eliminate this possibility

Dec 1, 2020
i have seen cases of benchmarks crashing at late stage (like 10hrs+) it's often because of ram / mobo overheating. can you try to slap a fan pushing air on top of the ram and test again ? just temporarly in order to eliminate this possibility
It's really strange
whenever I try with on mem stick, it works .
as soon as I put the second one in, OCCT, realbench and linpack xtreme fail in under 10 mins .
-I'm all on stock settings
cleared the cmos too . nothing works .

whenever I try with on mem stick, it works .
as soon as I put the second one in, OCCT, realbench and linpack xtreme fail in under 10 mins .
Did you try with only the "second" stick then?

We don't know any of your system info aside from your mobo and CPU.

Did you buy the 2(?) sticks of RAM packaged in the same "kit" (2x8GB for example) or were they individually packaged sticks?

What are "stock" settings running the RAM at in MHz and timings? Is XMP enabled? If so, what speed/timing profile.

Dec 1, 2020
Did you try with only the "second" stick then?

We don't know any of your system info aside from your mobo and CPU.

Did you buy the 2(?) sticks of RAM packaged in the same "kit" (2x8GB for example) or were they individually packaged sticks?

What are "stock" settings running the RAM at in MHz and timings? Is XMP enabled? If so, what speed/timing profile.
Tnx for replying
This is my system:
- rog strix 850G g+ psu
-rog z490-e gaming
-i7 10700k
- Corsair vengeance lpx (2x8G) cl16 3200MHz

In terms of temperatures, CPU temperature is not going above 83 on stock settings. But usually hovers around 78 to 80c.

I have done everything you can possibly think of. Updated the bios, clear the CMOS, changed memory slots and reseated the CPU.

I had a blue screen the other day with the “memory management” code on totally STOCK SETTINGS. So immediately I figured it might be the bios settings.
And before that I had errors in prime.95 and linpack xtreme. Also whenever I tested with OCCT, I got above 12,000 errors within just 15 minutes (again on just stock settings.)

I also tested with ‘windows memory diagnostic tool’ and it detected hardware problem too . I also tested OCCT with XMP1 and XMP2 . Both with lots of errors .
So I figured that if I put in the memory settings and voltages myself , the problem might go away.
So I put the RDAM voltage on 1.4 and VCCIO and VCCSA on 1.2. And also I put in the 16-18 and 36 for ram timings.

After this the problems in OCCTAnd realbench immediately disappeared and windows memory diagnostic tool also didn’t show any more problems.

And now the funny thing is, that when I clear the CMOS and put it on all stock again, it shows no more errors!!!

Now I don’t have any idea what the problem was or how it disappeared and I’m afraid that it might resurface again .

on stock settings my DRAM voltage is on 1.200 - VCCIO 0.976v - CPU System agent voltage
1.056v And timings are 15 15 36

what is your suggestion?
This is really driving me crazy for days now

Last edited: