remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
So i ran Prime for 22 hrs with no errors yesterday. I am at 16x-220fsb-1.39 volts. I started Prime again last night and it crashed before i got up this morning. That has got me a little confused. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Is it possible that your cpu was throttling itself most of the time because it was too hot? That would give you a false indicator of success.
Rerun, and watch the multiplier with cpu-z. If you are stable, and the multiplier does not drop, then you should be ok.

juncwil

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Do you mean you ran the same prime95 test on the same OC setting twice and it crashed on the second try? From what I researched, your cpu temp might not have reached that high but your northbridge chip can. Since the NB has only a small heatsink and no fans, it can get much hotter than your cpu and cause system instability. Its a pretty under emphasized area in OCing. You also don't really need to test for that long, there is such a thing as over testing. Don't put unnecessary heat and stress on your cpu if you don't need to.

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Yes it was the same settings. I have read so many times to run for 24-48 hours to make sure you have a stable OC? I have since dropped to 16.5x-225HT-1.41volts and have ran Prime for 2.5 hrs now and temp hasnt gone above 44c. Is there anyway to lower NB temps ?

You dont need 1.41 volts for a 16.5x-225HT. If you lower the voltage your NB will have lower temps. What temps do you see on the NB?

1.35v is what you should have.....And if your temp is 44c max then you are fine.

Do you have speedfan installed? Once you install speed fan, click and open it up and you will see several tabs. The first tab should give you some cpu and gpu temp info (system), look for the tab that says EXOTICS then click where it says "show me the magic" and you should have ALL temps displayed.....

Look where it says "System" and check temps.....

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
OK. I actually had speedfan installed but it didnt work on my fans so i took it off. I put in two Scythe slipstream 120mm for intake and exhaust and they both have 3 wire leads and of course so does my arcit 64 pro but i couldnt control any of them ? I will get my NB temp though and let you know.

Speedfan does not have anything to do with your fans. As it will tell you the rpm on your CPU and Chassis fan but it is used to monitor your temps, activity and clock info.

When you click on Exotics (show me the magic), you should see :

GPU, System, CPU, Aux, HD0 etc...... you want all those temps to be around 45-49c (load) and 30-38c (idle) , of course these are not exact temps that you will have due to your ambient temp should be much different than mine, but you should get the idea......

Another thing is the CMOS, do you know how to clear it in-case you did a bad overclock and need to reset everything? If not make sure you read the manual so you can get the idea of how this function works. Let me know if you need help with this......

remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Yes. I had to clear it quite a few times when i first started overclocking. It looks like all my temps are within range. I did try lowering my volts and i crashed immediately. I have it at 3.6Mhz with a 16x, 226Ht, and +0.050 volts which it reads at 1.39 volts. I thought speedfan was supposed to be able to adjust fan speed. Oh well, i am gonna order a fan controller as soon as my wife lets me (lol). Any recommendations ?

1.39 is perfect. So no worries there, just make sure when you play a game or do something that stresses the cpu you have speedfan so you can monitor temps every now n then.....

I use this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998055

Controlling 2 (120mm intake) 1 (120mm side intake) and 1 (140mm top exaust) in an Antec 300,

but trust me.. I find this more of a luxury and a necessity at the same time.. At the moment I do not have the TEMP probes installed so I cant see the temps off the controller. I am just using it to control the speed (RPM's) , and make sure they aren't loud when i watch a movie or if I want some peace n quiet etc.... And I have speedfan for the temp info...Of course I will end up installing the probes later on but for now im fine......

The best part of the controller is that it makes your case so much nicer as far as looks go...And its made by Scythe...

juncwil

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I think the real problem is that you simply ran prime95 for too long and it got too hot. The length of stability test really depends on what you are going to use your comp for. If its just daily tasks li9ke watching movies, internet, etc and gaming then you don't really need to test your system for too long as no game will stress your system like prime95 does.