PrimoCache RamDisk Low Write Speed

GoZFast

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hi,

I recently tried the PrimoCache RamDisk software.
I am amazed at the reading throughput but writing is even slower than my 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Read 20Gbps Write 500Mbps

bctGLdD.png

I couldn't find an option to make it a bootable partition to install windows, is that even possible with ramdisks?

Any idea is welcome.

Thanks!

Solution
Not sure what you mean by a PCI-e ramdisk. Perhaps you mean a PCI-e SSD?

The difference between a ram disk and ram caching is the ram disk is presented to the system as storage, caching does not, it's used by the system in the background.

Saberus

Distinguished
You cannot boot from a software-based RAMDisk that's using your system RAM, as all the data will be gone as soon as the computer is reset. At one time, there were products that fit in a 5.25 external drive bay that used a combination of DDR2 RAM, battery and PSU backup, and compact flash to make a persistent RAM drive, but modern SSDs do the job for cheaper, do it faster, support higher capacities and are simpler to setup.

What a RAM Disk is really good at is scratch space that's going to be written to extensively, it might be marginally faster than a high speed hard drive array.

I avoid any software like that.

You cannot install Windows on a ram disk because Windows Setup won't let you for a very good reason: RAM is volatile.
Any data in RAM is lost whenever you restart your PC for whatever reason.

Additionally, even if it was possible, imagine how much RAM would be required to accommodate a typical Windows 7 or 8 installation, not to mention subsequent service packs, support files etc.

Saberus

Distinguished
Not sure what you mean by a PCI-e ramdisk. Perhaps you mean a PCI-e SSD?

The difference between a ram disk and ram caching is the ram disk is presented to the system as storage, caching does not, it's used by the system in the background.

Solution

GoZFast

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
There were pcie cards where you can install ram and windows but now they are really not worth the price. Anyway, the ram would be limited by the pcie bus. Would have been awesome to boot windows at 20000mbps and an access time of 45ns lol
I will stick with my samsung for now and may add an m.2 ssd with NVMe when they become affordable.

Thanks all

TRENDING THREADS