Print cartridge doesnt work

pegfishr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have an HP H470 portable printer. It has always worked well. Recently it ran out of black ink. I replaced that cartridge and the printer continues to tell me that I am out of black ink. I could sure use some help. Is it possible that the cartridge could be defective? Thanks Peg

Did you replace it with an official HP cartridge? If not, you will see that message, the printer won't see it properly. It may still print unless the ink got so low that it did not print at all before the replacement. If it's an official HP cartridge, get a new one and try that. Should be easy to bring back to the store.

pegfishr

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Yes, I used an HP cartridge. Tried another cartridge, same thing. looked on the internet and it seems a lot of people are having this problem and HP is taking back the ones that are under warranty. Unfortunately, mine isn't. Other ideas are welcome! Thanks for your suggestion.

abay12

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
It happens when you use a refilled cartridge. While using a refiled cartridge the printer doesn't know the actual level of the ink in the cartridge. If you replace it with the original HP cartridge, the error message will go. Refilled ink cartridges are usually cheaper than the original ones. don't worry about the message if you bought a refilled cartridge, they usually work fine.