Print Driver for Windows' 95

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

HELP! I recently purchased a new Lexmark Z605 printer for my IBM computer. (Someone gave me the computer for free.) I didn't realize that I had Windows '95. (I thought it was '98.) My new printer won't install properly on '95 just '98 and newer software. A computer guy at work said there might be a driver through Microsoft.com to enable me to install my new printer. (I called Lexmark CS but they couldn't help me.)

Any suggestions other than:
1. Take the printer back and find an old one that is compatible with Window'95 or
2. Upgrade my computerto Windows '98

I use a computer all day long at work; however, I know nothing about installing a driver, so please speak with basic fundamentals when you reply.

Thanks appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Lexmark is responsible for writing drivers for their printers.

If Lexmark can't help it is pretty much trial and error. Install one of the
generic drivers and see if it works.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"KJMeyers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELP! I recently purchased a new Lexmark Z605 printer for my IBM
computer. (Someone gave me the computer for free.) I didn't realize that I
had Windows '95. (I thought it was '98.) My new printer won't install
properly on '95 just '98 and newer software. A computer guy at work said
there might be a driver through Microsoft.com to enable me to install my new
printer. (I called Lexmark CS but they couldn't help me.)

> Any suggestions other than:
> 1. Take the printer back and find an old one that is compatible with
Window'95 or
> 2. Upgrade my computerto Windows '98
>
> I use a computer all day long at work; however, I know nothing about
installing a driver, so please speak with basic fundamentals when you reply.

> Thanks appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

The most generic printer available is the one for the HP Deskjet 500. It
might work. Then again so would a nice new PC running WindowsXP.
www.coribright.com

"KJMeyers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELP! I recently purchased a new Lexmark Z605 printer for my IBM
computer. (Someone gave me the computer for free.) I didn't realize that I
had Windows '95. (I thought it was '98.) My new printer won't install
properly on '95 just '98 and newer software. A computer guy at work said
there might be a driver through Microsoft.com to enable me to install my new
printer. (I called Lexmark CS but they couldn't help me.)

> Any suggestions other than:
> 1. Take the printer back and find an old one that is compatible with
Window'95 or
> 2. Upgrade my computerto Windows '98
>
> I use a computer all day long at work; however, I know nothing about
installing a driver, so please speak with basic fundamentals when you reply.

> Thanks appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.print (More info?)

Another option, id to find the previous versions of the
printer and try the driver for that!
I had issues with a Lexmark X74 and found the X63 Driver -
previous model, worked great. Not the same scan quality as
I wuold get from the proper all in one driver, but
anything is better than nothing!

And FYI - Lexmark support are useless,, I wouldnt waste my
breath on them any more. I used Lexmarks as bargain bin
printing solutions, yet not one of there CS staff seem to
have even heard of Linux, which I use as a 2nd OS!

You'll find that Lexmark printers are now host-based, which
means all the heavy work is done by the computer.
The OS and CPU requirements are strict as most drivers
require MMX extensions in the CPU, and other Windows
related dependencies such as proper USB support.
I woul return the printer and try a parallel port printer
instead.