"print.exe" printing doesn't use "Printing Preferences"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

When I print a file using "print.exe", the printed output
doesn't use the options that I have set
in "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Printers....Printing
Preferences".

In the "Printing Preferences", I have selected that print
jobs should use a certain input tray and be printed 2-
sided. Printing from Windows applications works just
fine, but printing using the "print.exe" command in
Windows doesn't work the way I have specified.

Any workaround ideas? Can someone from Microsoft look
into fixing this?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Carl Benker,

> When I print a file using "print.exe", the printed output
> doesn't use the options that I have set
> in "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Printers....Printing
> Preferences".

AFAIK the PRINT command simply sends the file to the port, without using the
Windows driver.

If your ascii files contains simple text, you could use Printfil to send
them to the printer using the driver's settings.

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil

Davide,

I assume that "Printfil" doesn't mind PostScript files,
right? If so, "Printfil" looks like it might work for
me. The files that I am trying to print are PostScript
files, and I am trying to print them using the "lp"
command in Microsoft's "Services for Unix"
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/) which uses
the "print.exe" command to send the job to the printer.

Do I need to interact with "Printfil" or will it run as a
command-line utility like "print.exe"?

Carl

Carl,

> I assume that "Printfil" doesn't mind PostScript files,
> right? If so, "Printfil" looks like it might work for
> me. The files that I am trying to print are PostScript
> files, and I am trying to print them using the "lp"
> command in Microsoft's "Services for Unix"

Printfil is designed to interpret plain ascii file (with optional escape
sequences embedded), not PostScript files.
BTW, if your Unix app. is producing PS files just for portability (and not
for graphics), maybe Printfil could still be a solution for you to have your
jobs printed to any Windows printer (including USB and virtual - such as
faxmodems and PDF writers).
To be honest, Printfil can also prints graphical files together with the
text, but you will have to strip out the graphical part from your PS files
to put it into separate BMP files...

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, you can download the free trial from
our web site.

If you need help on choosing the right configuration for your systems, do
not hesitate to contact me at my private e-mail address.

Regards,
Davide.
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all