Print label on cd- best inkjet printer?

Which inkjet printer is the best for printing labels directly on a cd/dvd?

My HP is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a good printer
which will also print directly on a cd/dvd without harming the cd/dvd.

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message news:yMGdnSXrbewJKSDdRVn-gg@suscom-maine.net...
> Which inkjet printer is the best for printing labels directly on a cd/dvd?
>
> My HP is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a good printer
> which will also print directly on a cd/dvd without harming the cd/dvd.

I use the Epson R800. It's brilliant.

Rick

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

I have only used the Canon i865 and found it excellent. It also does very
good photo prints.

"Tiger" <nospam@antispam.com> wrote in message
> I have only used the Canon i865 and found it excellent. It also does very
> good photo prints.
>
> "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
> > Which inkjet printer is the best for printing labels directly on a
cd/dvd?

> > My HP is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a good printer
> > which will also print directly on a cd/dvd without harming the cd/dvd.
> >
> > GA
> > --
> > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

How well does the ink adhere to the label over time? I was able to smudge a
label my friend had printed two months beforehand. Anything else one should
do to protect the printed image?

"Ted Staley" wrote ...
> How well does the ink adhere to the label over time?

Or do you mean "adhere to the disk"?

> I was able to smudge a label my friend had printed two
> months beforehand.

I was NOT able to smudge one of the disks I printed about 2
weeks ago on my Epson R300 (Memorex printable disks).
OTOH, they are NOT waterproof.

> Anything else one should do to protect the printed image?

Some have suggested spraying with clear fixative that they
use on art pieces. I'd be worried about getting overspray
on the bottom (optical) side.

There have been others since but I can vouch for the Epson Stylus Photo 950.
It is superb both for direct disk printing and papers.
--
Maurice Fleisher <videoenterprises@ntlworld.com>
www.videoenterprises-uk.co.uk

"Maurice Fleisher" <maurice12@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> There have been others since but I can vouch for the Epson Stylus Photo
950.
> It is superb both for direct disk printing and papers.
> --
> Maurice Fleisher <videoenterprises@ntlworld.com>
> www.videoenterprises-uk.co.uk
> High Wycombe. UK

My Epson 900 is still going strong for direct disc printing and reasonable
(inkjet) quality photo printing.

Steve King

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

No problems so far with smudging and the discs play very well (as long as
the media is decent quality). It is so much better that the label systems
which could cause problems playing and they were hard to get on as well.

"Ted Staley" <teddyStay@nospam.org> wrote in message

> "Tiger" <nospam@antispam.com> wrote in message
> > I have only used the Canon i865 and found it excellent. It also does
very
> > good photo prints.
> >
> > "Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
> > > Which inkjet printer is the best for printing labels directly on a
> cd/dvd?
> > >
> > > My HP is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a good
printer
> > > which will also print directly on a cd/dvd without harming the cd/dvd.
> > >
> > > GA
> > > --
> > > My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.
> > >

> How well does the ink adhere to the label over time? I was able to smudge
> label my friend had printed two months beforehand. Anything else one
should
> do to protect the printed image?

"Gordon Abbot" <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote in message
> Which inkjet printer is the best for printing labels directly on a cd/dvd?
>
> My HP is nearing the end of its life and I am looking for a good printer
> which will also print directly on a cd/dvd without harming the cd/dvd.
>
> GA
> --
> My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

I recently bought the Epson Stylus R300 and am quite pleased with the
results and ease of use. Print speeds are decent too.
I understand the Epson R800 uses Ultrachrome inks and is said to give a
slightly glossy finish to the disk prints, making them look even more
brilliant. That model will set you back closer to half a grand. The R300
cost me only $149 and is good enough for my purposes. It's got a lot of
'bang for the buck' as they say. Highly recommended.

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" wrote ...
> I recently bought the Epson Stylus R300 and am quite pleased with the
> results and ease of use. Print speeds are decent too.
> I understand the Epson R800 uses Ultrachrome inks and is said to give a
> slightly glossy finish to the disk prints, making them look even more
> brilliant. That model will set you back closer to half a grand. The R300
> cost me only $149 and is good enough for my purposes. It's got a lot of
> 'bang for the buck' as they say. Highly recommended.

And it costs almost that much for a new set of ink cartridges. :-(

The R200 uses the same cartridges and is only $99