jay

No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
-

Malke

jay wrote:

> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything
> but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
> -

Paste the image into MSPaint and see what happens.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

jay wrote:
> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
> produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
> -

Pressing the <PrtScn> key copies the entire display to the
clipboard. Pressing <ALT>+<PrtScn> copies only the active Window to
the clipboard (iow, into RAM). To view the screen capture, open a
graphics program, such as MS Paint, and press <CTRL>+V. This will
paste the contents of the clipboard (your screenshot) into the open
file, and allow you to view it or save it as a file for later use.

How to Capture Screen Shots in Windows Using the Print Screen Key
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173884

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

If you want a simple utility to print what is on your screen or an active
window by pressing the Print Screen button on your keyboard try ScreenPrint32
from www.screenprint32.com

jay wrote:
> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do
> anything but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I
> doing wrong? -

This works for me in Word 2000:
Hit the Print Screen key (or Alt + Print Screen if you only
want to capture the active window).
The image should now show up in your document.

Nepatsfan

Open a new Word document. Minimize it. Then hit PrntScr. Then restore Word and with the cursor in the body of the new document go to Edit | Paste. There you go that is what PrntScr is useful for.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9BCC98B7-0B0B-48B9-9F63-88CA271583F3@microsoft.com...
> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
> produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
> -

Microsoft Word displays an outline instead of the picture.

Try this...
Open Word | Tools | Options | View tab | UNCheck: Picture placeholders |
Click OK

Picture placeholders
[[Displays an empty box in place of each graphic in your document. Increases
the speed at which you can scroll through and display a document that
contains many graphics.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9BCC98B7-0B0B-48B9-9F63-88CA271583F3@microsoft.com,
jay <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
> produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
> -

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:32:32 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>jay wrote:
>> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
>> produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
>> -
>>

> Pressing the <PrtScn> key copies the entire display to the
>clipboard. Pressing <ALT>+<PrtScn> copies only the active Window to
>the clipboard (iow, into RAM). To view the screen capture, open a
>graphics program, such as MS Paint, and press <CTRL>+V. This will
>paste the contents of the clipboard (your screenshot) into the open
>file, and allow you to view it or save it as a file for later use.
>
>How to Capture Screen Shots in Windows Using the Print Screen Key
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173884

GREAT POST!

Too bad it doesn't answer the question. The OP already knows how the
PrtScr button works.

NobodyMan wrote:

> GREAT POST!
>
> Too bad it doesn't answer the question. The OP already knows how the
> PrtScr button works.

Not if, as he said, he's pressing the <PrtScn> key in Word and
expecting a picture to appear.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi

After using that key try using MS Paint to save the image, then import it
into MS Word.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uzuECUTlFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> typed:

> After using that key try using MS Paint to save the image, then
> import it into MS Word.

But it shouldn't be necessary. After pressing PrintScrn, pasting
directly into Word with Ctrl-V works fine here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "jay" <jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do
>> anything
>> but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?

I just opened Word 2002, hit the Print Scrn key, Ctl + V and got a real nice
78 % picture of a blank document. :-D

Double clicking on the Close X brings up the Format Picture dialog box
though. ;-(

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OVPgYJWlFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> hunted and pecked:
> NobodyMan wrote:
>

>> GREAT POST!
>>
>> Too bad it doesn't answer the question. The OP already knows how the
>> PrtScr button works.
>>

> Not if, as he said, he's pressing the <PrtScn> key in Word and
> expecting a picture to appear.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

jay wrote:
> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything but
> produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
> -

Try using edit -> paste special

--
Marc
Visit http://www.iMarc.co.uk/ for contact information and reviews.

And that creates a *.bmp as opposed to going to paint and saving it as jpeg and then importing it to word. Lot smaller in size if you need to print it or send it from a page created in word

--
Peter

Marc wrote:
> jay wrote:
>> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything
>> but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
>> -
>>

> Try using edit -> paste special

Mac. I find I need to first open Word then minimize it. Then display the
picture I want and hit PrtScrn or Alt-PrtScrn. Now I maximize Word and use
Ctrl-V or click Edit... Paste.

I find that if I PrtSrn the picture and then open Word that loses my
picture.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

In news:OJFunJYlFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> typed:

> And that creates a *.bmp as opposed to going to paint and
> saving it
> as jpeg and then importing it to word. Lot smaller in size if
> you
> need to print it or send it from a page created in word

No argument from me. But my point is that it *does* work. If it
doesn't work for the OP, something is clearly wrong.

In news:Zj7He.54027$4o.16940@fed1read06,
Darrell S <dumbwid@fox.com> typed:

> Marc wrote:
>> jay wrote:
>>> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do
>>> anything
>>> but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
>>> -
>>>

>> Try using edit -> paste special
>
> Mac. I find I need to first open Word then minimize it. Then
> display the picture I want and hit PrtScrn or Alt-PrtScrn. Now
> maximize Word and use Ctrl-V or click Edit... Paste.
>
> I find that if I PrtSrn the picture and then open Word that
> loses my
> picture.

Not my experience here, using Word 2003. It works either way.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Agreed

--
Peter

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:e9Rz9EflFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> In news:OJFunJYlFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Peter Foldes <okf22@hotmail.com> typed:
>
> > And that creates a *.bmp as opposed to going to paint and
> > saving it
> > as jpeg and then importing it to word. Lot smaller in size if
> > you
> > need to print it or send it from a page created in word
>

> No argument from me. But my point is that it *does* work. If it
> doesn't work for the OP, something is clearly wrong.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> >> In news:uzuECUTlFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> >> Will Denny <willdenny@mvps.org> typed:

> >> But it shouldn't be necessary. After pressing PrintScrn,
> >> pasting
> >> directly into Word with Ctrl-V works fine here.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the newsgroup

Darrell,

That is because Word clears the contents of the Windows Clipboard when it
opens.

If Word came installed as part of Works Suite then the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word (COM Add-in) is known to clear the contents of the
Windows Clipboard when Word starts.

Start Word first, then copy and paste.

Or follow the procedures here to remove the Works Suite add-in

WD The Windows Clipboard Content is Modified When Word Starts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555173

This applies to Word 97, Word 2000, Word 2002 and Word 2003.

I have Word 2002 installed as part of Works Suite. I removed the Works
Suite add-in and now I do *not* have to open Word first and then copy and
paste *anything*.

This is a real common problem.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Zj7He.54027$4o.16940@fed1read06,
Darrell S <dumbwid@fox.com> hunted and pecked:
> Marc wrote:
>> jay wrote:
>>> No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything
>>> but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong?
>>> -
>>>

>> Try using edit -> paste special
>
> Mac. I find I need to first open Word then minimize it. Then display the
> picture I want and hit PrtScrn or Alt-PrtScrn. Now I maximize Word and
> use Ctrl-V or click Edit... Paste.
>
> I find that if I PrtSrn the picture and then open Word that loses my
> picture.
>

> --
>
> Darrell R. Schmidt
> B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
> -

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 17:56:46 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:
>

>> GREAT POST!
>>
>> Too bad it doesn't answer the question. The OP already knows how the
>> PrtScr button works.
>>

> Not if, as he said, he's pressing the <PrtScn> key in Word and
>expecting a picture to appear.

The OP never made that statement. The OP implied that when the image
was pasted into Word, a blank square appeared instead of the image
captured by the PrtScr button. That's probably a setting in their
Word installation.

There was so such "implication." What the OP said, exactly, was:

"No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything
but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong? "

He never even hints at pasting anything. It's clear from the above
sentence that he's using the key while already in Word.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 19:42:15 -0600, Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>NobodyMan wrote:
>

>>> Not if, as he said, he's pressing the <PrtScn> key in Word and
>>>expecting a picture to appear.
>>

>> The OP never made that statement. The OP implied that when the image
>> was pasted into Word, a blank square appeared instead of the image
>> captured by the PrtScr button. That's probably a setting in their
>> Word installation.
>>

> There was so such "implication." What the OP said, exactly, was:
>
>"No matter what I try I can't get the print screen key to do anything
>but produce a blank square in "Word". What am I doing wrong? "
>

> He never even hints at pasting anything. It's clear from the above
>sentence that he's using the key while already in Word.

The "blank square" in Word is what is displayed when you opt to not
display graphics. It's a placeholder.

THAT implies the OP knows what the PrtScr button does and how it
works; he/she just doesn't know how to change Word to display the
graphic.

But of course I'm wrong. Bruce Chambers, a MS-MVP, could never ever
be wrong.

Like my post in this thread on Saturday, 30 July, 2005 3:40 PM (MDT)
explained.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes