Question Print server setup on ASUS WL-520GU only to add Wi-fi printing & retain wired printing; internet by Fios Quantum Gateway.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Hello, Peabody here,

Goal -- To add wirless printing functionality to my home network via ASUS WL 520GU router USB Print Server to Canon MP190 USB Printer, which is currently
wired to my Windows 7 Desktop, and also retaining wired printing for some devices such as desktops. Have a Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway G1100, which has
two usb ports apparently for charging devices only, sigh. Hoping to use existing gear instead of purchasing a wi-fi printer.

NOTE: Priority for printing is an Ipad Air (Gen 2), Samsung Chromebook, and Windows 7 Desktop. Especially would like to help household member print from Ipad.

Hmm ... I noticed your sticky entitled, How do I convert my wireless router to a wireless AP (Access Point)? now I'm wondering if this is part of the process, but ...er, umm ... See I'm already confused about basic topics! I have some experience - I'm a tinkerer not an IT pro. That's why I'm here!

Other Questions/Concerns:

Should I flash it to DD-WRT? Does it have more current updates compared to the native ASUS firmware? ie. should I use it as is? I don't know firmware version - likely original installation because we didn't update it afaik. I don't have it connected to my network to find out. I'm not even sure how to do this. Hopefully this wont' be necessary only for printing use.

Security issues using such an old router?

Devices in use:

Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway G1100
https://www.verizon.com/supportreso...rt/consumer/documents/fqgrouter-userguide.pdf
Current config: one LAN port open of four.

ASUS WL-520GU router

Canon MP190 USB Printer

Ipad Air (2nd Gen)

Samsung chromebook 500C (wi-fi)

2 smartphones

2 windows desktops both wired LAN (one with XP Home 32-bit & one with 7 Home 64-bit)

some other miscellaneous devices occasionaly connected. (an old smartphone, old tablet, DVD player wi-fi)

Are you planning to use the asus router only for the purpose of connecting the USB printer to your network.

Basically you are on the correct track of using the router as a AP. Without reading the manual I do not know if you can use a setting in the router to change it to AP and/if this disables the printer server function.

What should work is to connect your current router to the asus via a lan - lan cable. Disable the DHCP server in the Asus router. Then change the IP to something that does not conflict. If you main router is 192.168.1.1 your could change the asus router to 192.168.1.240. Technically you want a IP outside the dhcp scope of the main router but because there are very few IP in a home network choosing a high number like 240 will work ok if you don't understand how to find the dhcp pool in the main router.

You should then be able to use the IP address of the asus both via ethernet and wifi. You do not need to actually use the wifi on the asus, it can connect via the wifi on the Fios router and then go over the ethernet to the asus/printer

Reactions: Sherman Peabody

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Peabody here,

Yes, I'd like to use the router only for connecting the usb printer to my network. It's too old and unsecure imo to use for internet, but I could be wrong.

The AP "Sticky" doesn't say anything about, "Without reading the manual I do not know if you can use a setting in the router to change it to AP and/if this disables the printer server function. " What setting(s) are you referring to? I have the pdf manual and don't know what search terms to use to look for this potential issue.

Why can't I config. the ASUS by connecting it to my Fios gateway? I have to us my Desktop. Just curious as to why. What's would happen? Would it interfere with the Fios gateway? Interfere with all our connected devices? Are they going to automatically connect to the ASUS wi-fi DHCP or something?

Also am curious to see if the router will have last config settings or if the fact that it's been removed from power all these months that it resets. Router reset procedures are confusing, but I guess that's why they have that 30-30-30 reset rule or whatever it is! Still never understood how power effects config. vs. using their reset buttons.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Now connect the router to be converted only to a computer via network cable and log in

Setup the wireless security

Disable the DHCP and change the LAN IP to match the gateway IP but ending in something like .253

Finally connect one of the four LAN ports of the AP to the main router, do NOT use the WAN port.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-- Also, I'm not even about some basic thing here:

*** Canon MP190 is compatible because it's not on the list of tested devices, but I want to try anyway!
*** Will Ipad Air (2nd Gen) even be able to talk to the print server? And without some special driver as I'll probably need for the Chromebook ... ? Again will attempt unless someone says otherwise.

Thanks bill001g !

Last edited:
You will need to configure the device directly connected to your computer. If you just hook it to the network it is highly likely it uses the same IP as your fios router and you will break pretty much everything.

Some routers have a AP mode. This automatically does some of the things like disable the dhcp. The main difference is it allows you to use the wan port to connect so you get a extra lan port. Maybe simpler to just follows the method that uses the lan port.

You do not actually have to factory reset it if you don't want to. That is mostly for people that do not know what is configured on the device.

I have very little knowledge about print servers. Maybe while you have it directly hooked up to your computer connect the printer and test that way to you do not waste a lot of time if the asus does not work with your printer. I would assume a ipad can use a network printer. It should be just a matter of putting in the new IP you assigned to the router.

Reactions: Sherman Peabody

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Maybe while you have it directly hooked up to your computer connect the printer and test that way to you do not waste a lot of time if the asus does not work with your printer.

Converted the Asus router to an AP per sticky instructions.

Now on to test the printer as you suggested. So the printer driver is already installed on the Desktop I used to set the Asus router to an AP. If I disonnect the Canon printer from the Desktop and connect it to Asus usb print server port, then I have to install the Canon driver again?! -- to the router? That's what the Asus manual instructions for Network Printer Setup seem to say.

Then, when I connect my new Asus AP to Fios gateway, how will I print from my Desktop? Do I have to uninstall the driver from it to prevent conflicts with with version on the Asus? Yikes!

You can't load any drivers in the router, if it actually needs a driver then it has to be built into the firmware by the vendor. It has been so long since I did a network print I forget if the OS prints directly or if there is still a driver in the machine. It will print to a IP address instead of printing to the USB. The asus manual I would think would discuss you to print on a printer that is connected to the router.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Ok, here goes,

Converted Asus router to AP per sicky post and setup print server successfully while connected to Win7 Desktop, but now internet access through (original) Fios gateway is "broken" (on Win7 Desktop only)

Note: Asus router rejected the pool ending addy of Fios gateway, but I was able to set it to one less.

Ran Ipconfig on Wind7 Desk. Default Gateway is set to Asus router! The PC wants to use Asus for internet access, doh! How to restore Win7 to use Fios gateway??

Note: I attempted to fix by messing with windows Network settings hoping for a "simple" resolution - I'll never learn, will I ;)

-- Windows7 Network Map displays a switch in the configuration.
-- At this point, I have two networks listed, Network 1 and Network 2

How do I fix this. How do I reset the network back to a single network that it uses Fios for internet? I never removed Win7 ethernet cable from the Fios LAN it's connected to, only the cable from the back of the PC so I could connect the Asus for configuring, ie Win7 only has one ethernet port/adaptor.

Btw, was able to print a test page successfully both from Win7 when the Asus was connected to it directly and when I connected it to the Fios gateway! Success! Some success?! Haven't printed from mobile devices yet due to need for more research on individual print apps/ drivers etc...

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
It all depends on how you set the IP address in your PC. If you manually set it you need to manually change the gateway. If you are using DHCP you should be able to do ipconfig /release ipconfig/renew. I hope you disabled the dhcp function in the asus.

Yes, I disabled the DHCP in the Asus router while it was connected to Win7 Desktop per sticky instructions. That was the first thing I did after logging into the router. The security settings and wi-fi settings (ssid etc) were already set up from when I used the router previously so it is broadcasting (?) ie I see it listed on my devices with the message, "internet unavailable. Cannot auto-connect."

The issue here is, I don't understand how the Asus became my (internet) gateway for the win7 desktop. The Asus wasn't connected/set-up in any way I can think of to be the main gateway for anything, but my Win7 Desktop set itself (?) to recognize it that way when all along it was using Fios for internet ! This makes no sense to me.

Afaik, the Fios gateway uses DHCP to dynamically set IPs for my devices so I shouldn't have to manually set anything. I will do some research on the commands you mention, but, really I think I need to search for articles on how to set up a network in Windows 7 to fix the mess I made trying to get the PC to re-connect to fios gateway for internet access! As I stated, I now I have 2 neworks listed in Network settings! Just have to figure out how to clear all that out and re-establish with the fios.

Q: I mean, anywhere in this process should I be disconnecting & reconnecting the Lan cable to get Fios to reset the IP?? I dunno.

Also you said previously:

Technically you want a IP outside the dhcp scope of the main router but because there are very few IP in a home network choosing a high number like 240 will work ok if you don't understand how to find the dhcp pool in the main router.

Is this causing any issues? The Asus wouldn't allow me to use the ending addy of Fios dhcp so I set to one value less which IS the ending addy for both routers, I believe. So my Asus IP is not outside the scope of main fios router.

The highest ip you can generally use is 254 and that is a based on how subnets work not a router restriction.

Not sure why it has the wrong gateway. I know Asus will reset it when you change the lan IP. Maybe you just moved the cable too quickly between the asus and the fios router. In any case the IPCONFIG /release should clear it.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
In any case the IPCONFIG /release should clear it

If more devices internet connections get blocked, this will affect my ability to pay upcoming bills online!

Before I do that (run ipconfig) today Dec 18 there is yet another development:

Browsed the web fine this morning then all of the sudden started getting Asus based error dialog, "Reason for failed connection: the cable for ethernet is not plugged in...

accompanied by "site can't be reached" in google chrome.

Now I can't access internet via Chromebook?! I haven't touched yhe network.

Android phone & ipad still work.

Maybe you just moved the cable too quickly between the asus and the fios router

Tom' Hardware sticky I followed on setting up an AP didn't give any details about waiting time between connecting the devices. There should be a sticky on basic network setup. If there is help in the FAQ then I'd appreciate where because there appears to be a very lo g list of topics -- I'm not even sure what search terms to use to narrow those topics down.

If that is the problem, what do I do about it? You didn't say.

. I hope you disabled the dhcp function in the asus.

I definately disabled DHCP in ASUS. Could something have caused all this immediately after plugging into Win7 PC but before I logged i to Asus to disable DHCP??!! Old settings on the Asus leading it to connect with my devices? Or cause conflicts with Fios Gateway?

& why os that switch icon on my network map Win7 PC?

I prepared some screenshots of my win7 PC network sharing issues I mentioned previously but wanted to post this first because I have to find a secure & private image hosting site for linking & read & implement tutorial rules first which I don't know when/if I'm gonna get to that any time soon.(image editing etc)

Last edited:

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
So, early this evening, I decided to look at Fios wi-fi settings on this chromebook. Under gateway, it had the IP address of the Asus router! As I mentioned above, earlier today my chromebook stopped connecting to the internet late this morning.

After running an errand, I just viewed the Fios wi-fi settings on the chromebook again -- now gateway has the Fios IP addy! And I have internet again.

Another thing I just remembered is that the other day while logged into the Fios router to look at settings for DHCP end addy limit, I noticed Fios referes to the Asus as a, "Bridge." Another piece of the puzzle? I've heard of bridges before, but don't know enough to figure this all out - that's why I'm here. Is an AP also a type of Bridge?

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Not sure why it has the wrong gateway. I know Asus will reset it when you change the lan IP. Maybe you just moved the cable too quickly between the asus and the fios router. In any case the IPCONFIG /release should clear it.

So now I'm thinking ... I have one ethernet port on Win7 PC wired to Fios, but I unplugged it from the PC so I could plug in the Asus in order to make it an AP -- did this cause issues? Using the same (& only) port?

Now my chromebook switched it's gateway back to Asus again.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
. In any case the IPCONFIG /release should clear it.

So I ran IPCONFIG but Asus remains Default Gateway.

C:\Users\Me>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.fios-router.home:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

C:\Users\Me>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Asus Router

C:\Users\Me>

I assume you have actual IP addresses. You do not have to remove these because these are private ones and pretty much everyone uses the same.

This is very strange.

Try ipconfig /all and see what IP you see the dhcp server as. This appears as if the the dhcp is still running on the asus box. Generally with a consumer router the dhcp server and the gateway are the same. You can't for example configure your FIOS box to give you a default gateway other than itself. A commercial router or dhcp server you can.

Worst case you can you can go into ipv4 setting in your pc and hard code the ip and gateway and dns.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Try ipconfig /all and see what IP you see the dhcp server as. This appears as if the the dhcp is still running on the asus box

IPCONFIG /all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Me>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : fios-router.home

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fios-router.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : edited out.
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : edited out
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 19, 2020 6:11:31 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 20, 2020 6:11:32 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : edited out
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : edited out

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : edited out
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : edited out
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : edited out
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : edited out
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

----------------------------------------------

Ok but why is my chromebook continually switching back & forth from Fios to asus as default gateway? Is that because you think asus dhcp is still enabled? I'm afraid to login to asus (check dhcp status) via my wireless devices in case that causes more issues.

Can see Asus ssid listed on my devices wi-fi settings - for example on this android phone, it appears, but says no internet connection. Does this indicate dhcp asus is still enabled? Chromebook allows me to open a sign in dialog to connect, though I haven't.

So here's the unedited IPCONFIG:
I don't know why "default gateway" is empty under /release.

I'll search around for hardcoding as you suggest, but any links are appreciated to help me save time & prevent further problems because I often find, google is NOT my friend as much as people tend to claim ;)

C:\Users\Me>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::859f:182f:60b5:59b3%10
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Users\Me>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::859f:182f:60b5:59b3%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

The DHCP almost has to be enabled. It would be extremely hard to get the ip of the asus in the DHCP server field unless it had received a DHCP data packet from the asus.

Running multiple DHCP servers on a network tends to be very strange. It is actually done on enterprise networks for redundancy but it has to be carefully configured.

The way it works is your machine sends out a broadcast message saying someone give me a ip address. Both dhcp servers will respond. What commonly happens is the pc will receive all the responses but it will pick the first one it receives and send rejects back to the other servers.

You should be able to eaisily get into the asus from your ethernet connected machine.....especially since the default gateway is set to the asus. You should be able to go in and turn off the dhcp server function.

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Ok, intetesting. I will go login to asus via Wim7 PC to disable dhcp.

On my chromebook, I changed gateway ip & dns to fios. Got i internet back.

Sorry for all my messy stream of consciousness writing :)

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
Hmm, these might help. The manual is too limited and I can't find any other help files on my original Cd-r or when I run any of the Utilities provided, so I recalled this website. My firmware/software version must be different because the GUI is certainly different, but close enough.

Logged in to Asus. DHCP radio button is still set to NO for enable the dhcp server, though I find the client list confusing... the fact that 10 some devices appear to be connected... Memory from last use of router, current devices, i dunno, haven't spent much time looking into it, BUT,

How does this fit it, Operation Mode?

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Asus/WL520GU/System_Setup_Operation_Mode.jpg

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Asus/WL520GU/IP_Config_DHCP_Server.jpg

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
I hope I don't have to do a bunch of power cycling - resetting - rebooting - and redoing a bunch of physical connections as well. Originally, when I disabled dhcp or maybe it was IP change, the router automatically rebooted itself - so much fun.

I'm not going to do anything else with the settings until I understand more about the Operation Mode :)

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
The screenshot you have included show the dhcp server is on. Make sure you click apply asus is very strange about that, some screens it auto updates and other you must save it.

They are not screenshots of my actual config, but of this asus router in general. I included the links so you could see the overall screens (settings) in case I am missing anything -- especially the operation mode. Do I set it to AP or leave it the first option, what is it? Home Network or something? Then there's router? I don't have screens in front of me right now.

Last edited:

Sherman Peabody

Prominent
Dec 9, 2020
So I logged into the asus where it currently is connected (to Fios) to click apply as you suggested although I'm fairly sure I did that the first time, then I selected the reboot button. Ipconfig on my win7pc then showed the fios as gateway, finally, but then I selected the windows troubleshooter to try and fix the network connection in general because there was no internet, and that seems to have set the gateway back to Asus! -- The AP sticky instructed to config your router to AP while connected to a PC. Should I have reconnected it to win7 PC? I just didn't think of that at the time. If I have to do that, then it would be helpful to know the procedures to connect and config via PC then put asus back into the fios gateway ( how to move cables, when to move them etc...)

The troubleshooter seemed to fix the network connection and restore internet at least according to dialogs and network map, but when I opened firefox, I couldn't get to any websites.

How do I get this darn PC to get back on Fios. I never had to login user & pass PPPOE or whatever in Network & sharing in Windows. When the Verizon Tech installed Fios, he just plugged everytihg into the new fios box and that was it.

Ok, maybe I'll try the manual set of IP for gateway etc...

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS