Print Servers

Hawk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
171
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
One parallel port would be enough.

hawk
 

jt

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
253
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:00:09 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>One parallel port would be enough.
>
>hawk

A lot depends on the printer. An older, full featured printer will probably
work no problem. A new, multifunction, windows driver dependant printer
might not work, and some features probably wouldn't work. What type of
printer are you trying to put on the print server.

JT
 

Hawk

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
171
0
18,680
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I want to use an Epson Stylus Photo 820 with the parallel port. D-Link
has a small print server that attaches to the port on the printer
directly. But neither D-link or Epson will verify compatibility. Each
says to contact the other.

Anyway, it sounds like no one has had very satisfactory experience
with print servers.

hawk


JT wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:00:09 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>>about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>>One parallel port would be enough.
>>
>>hawk
>
>
> A lot depends on the printer. An older, full featured printer will probably
> work no problem. A new, multifunction, windows driver dependant printer
> might not work, and some features probably wouldn't work. What type of
> printer are you trying to put on the print server.
>
> JT
 

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
28
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

hawk wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
> One parallel port would be enough.
>
> hawk

Last week, I bought Hawking's print server (2 usb + 1 parallel ports). It
worked, but the setup software and browser access are slow and clunky.

I learned that my Epson C84's ink level monitor doesn't work when the
printer is accessed through a print server. Judging from the long series
of posts about Epson ink-jets I just read, this is no longer important.

I returned the Hawking and bought a Gigafast. No browser access on this
one. Never could get it working, so it is also going back.

So far, my efforts have been a big waste of time. Maybe the higher-priced
print servers are better.

Roby
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:06:00 -0400, Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote:

>hawk wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>> One parallel port would be enough.
>>
>> hawk
>
>Last week, I bought Hawking's print server (2 usb + 1 parallel ports). It
>worked, but the setup software and browser access are slow and clunky.
>
>I learned that my Epson C84's ink level monitor doesn't work when the
>printer is accessed through a print server. Judging from the long series
>of posts about Epson ink-jets I just read, this is no longer important.
>
>I returned the Hawking and bought a Gigafast. No browser access on this
>one. Never could get it working, so it is also going back.
>
>So far, my efforts have been a big waste of time. Maybe the higher-priced
>print servers are better.

I recently bought a Netgear PS121 (only supports USB printers),
connected it to a HP Color LasrJet 1500L. It worked well from my
laptop via wireless; however I had problems printing from one PC
(caused the attention light to come on after 1 page) and I couldn't
even install the software on another.

So I bought the proper HP JetDirect print server and I had exactly the
same problems. Turned out the attention light problem was due to the
PC requesting Letter size paper when I was using A4. The PC that the
software wouldn't install was just screwed; I reinstalled XP and it
was a little better but I could only get it working by manually
configuring TCP/IP printing.

The HP print server was about 3 times the price of the Neatgear one
and does have a couple of advantages; however it isn't massively
better then the cheaper one.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've been using a Linksys EPSX3 (3 parallel ports) for several years with no
problems. They have a new model out since then, but I don't know the
differences.

> hawk wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
> One parallel port would be enough.
>
> hawk
 

jt

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
253
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Your basic printing will probably work. Your special features, like ink
levels and cleaning probably won't.

JT.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:38:36 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:

>I want to use an Epson Stylus Photo 820 with the parallel port. D-Link
>has a small print server that attaches to the port on the printer
>directly. But neither D-link or Epson will verify compatibility. Each
>says to contact the other.
>
>Anyway, it sounds like no one has had very satisfactory experience
>with print servers.
>
>hawk
>
>
>JT wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:00:09 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>>>about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>>>One parallel port would be enough.
>>>
>>>hawk
>>
>>
>> A lot depends on the printer. An older, full featured printer will probably
>> work no problem. A new, multifunction, windows driver dependant printer
>> might not work, and some features probably wouldn't work. What type of
>> printer are you trying to put on the print server.
>>
>> JT
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS