Print Speed to Client PC - Can I Slow it down

Issue: Across a wan there is limited speed (1mps from client pc to a
Win2kTS server. Server is a powerhouse quad processor 2 gig ram), I want to
throttle the print speed to the workstation printer. The problem is with
printing, the print job hogs the bandwidth during the print spool session
and significantly slows the other RDP client sessions. The other RDP
session become jagged during the print across the TS session, and no longer
smooth while the print job takes place. Is there a way to 'throttle' the
print spool to use a maximum amount of bandwidth? The idea is I want to
increase the print time in hopes of keeping the other RDP sessions smooth in
their usage.

Thanks,
Robin.

Citrix MetaFrame XP & 3.0 have this feature.

http://www.workthin.com/citrix.htm

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

----- Robin Floyd wrote: -----

Issue: Across a wan there is limited speed (1mps from client pc to a
Win2kTS server. Server is a powerhouse quad processor 2 gig ram), I want to
throttle the print speed to the workstation printer. The problem is with
printing, the print job hogs the bandwidth during the print spool session
and significantly slows the other RDP client sessions. The other RDP
session become jagged during the print across the TS session, and no longer
smooth while the print job takes place. Is there a way to 'throttle' the
print spool to use a maximum amount of bandwidth? The idea is I want to
increase the print time in hopes of keeping the other RDP sessions smooth in
their usage.

Thanks,
Robin.

pm

"Robin Floyd" <RobinEFloyd@charter.net> wrote in message
> Issue: Across a wan there is limited speed (1mps from client pc to a
> Win2kTS server. Server is a powerhouse quad processor 2 gig ram), I want
> throttle the print speed to the workstation printer. The problem is with
> printing, the print job hogs the bandwidth during the print spool session
> and significantly slows the other RDP client sessions. The other RDP
> session become jagged during the print across the TS session, and no
longer
> smooth while the print job takes place. Is there a way to 'throttle' the
> print spool to use a maximum amount of bandwidth? The idea is I want to
> increase the print time in hopes of keeping the other RDP sessions smooth
in
> their usage.
>
> Thanks,
> Robin.

Have you considered a 3rd-party printing app? We use Uniprint
(www.uniprint.net), it sends far less data than Metaframe by compressing at
the server end and decompressing at the client end (requires a client app).
It's a per-server license so very cost effective if you have a high
client-to-server ratio.

Pete

pm

"PM" <pmunro@cq_NO_systems_SPAM_.com.invalid> wrote in message

> "Robin Floyd" <RobinEFloyd@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Issue: Across a wan there is limited speed (1mps from client pc to a
> > Win2kTS server. Server is a powerhouse quad processor 2 gig ram), I
want
> > throttle the print speed to the workstation printer. The problem is
with
> > printing, the print job hogs the bandwidth during the print spool
session
> > and significantly slows the other RDP client sessions. The other RDP
> > session become jagged during the print across the TS session, and no
> longer
> > smooth while the print job takes place. Is there a way to 'throttle'
the
> > print spool to use a maximum amount of bandwidth? The idea is I want to
> > increase the print time in hopes of keeping the other RDP sessions
smooth
> in
> > their usage.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robin.
> >

> Have you considered a 3rd-party printing app? We use Uniprint
> (www.uniprint.net), it sends far less data than Metaframe by compressing
at
> the server end and decompressing at the client end (requires a client
app).
> It's a per-server license so very cost effective if you have a high
> client-to-server ratio.
>
> Pete

I forgot to mention, the print driver is universal and hooks in to the
client printers after the job has been spooled, this means you don't need
any print drivers on the terminal server.