Print Spooler keeps failing, Event ID 7031, Service Contro..

Teo

Hi,
I'm really hoping someone in here can help me. My Server started giving me
a lot of problems last week and i traced the problem to my APC software fo my
UPS. NOw ithat i have un installed the software all of my programs seem to be
working correctly except for my print spooler. My print spooler will fail
and reboot itself every other minute. The event log shows "Service Control
Manager" and the Event ID is 7031. I mention the APC problem because they
both happened around the same time but uninstallin APC helped everything else
so this may not be related. Either way i cannot get my print spooler to stay
on for more than a couple of minutes.

OS - Server 2000

Thank You for any help with this,
Matt

"Teo" <Teo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm really hoping someone in here can help me. My Server started
> giving me
> a lot of problems last week and i traced the problem to my APC
> software fo my
> UPS. NOw ithat i have un installed the software all of my programs
> seem to be
> working correctly except for my print spooler. My print spooler will
> fail
> and reboot itself every other minute. The event log shows "Service
> Control
> Manager" and the Event ID is 7031. I mention the APC problem because
> they
> both happened around the same time but uninstallin APC helped
> everything else
> so this may not be related. Either way i cannot get my print spooler
> to stay
> on for more than a couple of minutes.
>
> OS - Server 2000

Try moving the location of the spooler....

Create a folder called Spooler in your desired location
e.g. C:\spooler

Start
Control Panel
Printers and Faxes

File
Server Properties
Advanced tab
and change the spool folder location to the previously created folder
(you may want to record the original location for future reference)

click OK

now stop and start the spooler service by

Start
Run
type
CMD
press enter

in the CMD window
type
net stop spooler
press enter

type
net start spooler
press enter

also check your printer drivers are up to date, and if they are the
latest ones try an earlier one if the problem is stil occuring.

HTH

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/