Print spooler keeps stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramsey

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

I have a new Dell SX280 on XP SP2 running on a domain

When I went to install the network printers it gave me an error saying the
Print Spooler service is not running. I went to Service and restarted it but
it just keeps stopping itself.

Any thoughts?

Ramsey
ramsey(removeme)@englandnetball.co.uk

Byte

This is usually caused by a "bad" printer driver. See (URL) steps 6 and 7

You might want to try removing one driver entry, then starting the spooler
again (steps 8 and 9). Repeat until the spooler stays running.

If you recently added or updated a printer driver, that may be a good one to
start with.
--
Courtesy of:
Bruce Sanderson MVP

--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Ramsey" wrote:

> I have a new Dell SX280 on XP SP2 running on a domain
>
> When I went to install the network printers it gave me an error saying the
> Print Spooler service is not running. I went to Service and restarted it but
> it just keeps stopping itself.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Ramsey
> ramsey(removeme)@englandnetball.co.uk

Ramsey

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Hi Bruce

I have tried all of this and cleaned out the spool etc and edited the
registry so there are no print drivers anywhere but still the service stops
itself. It does not even come on on startup (even though it is set to
automatic). I can start it - but it stops itself!

It has very few programs on it but I am not sure if maybe one of them is
causing the problem - for info it has: Office 97 pro, Outlook 2003, Sage Line
50, Acrobat 7.0, Winzip, and a USB modem. That's all!

Help!

Cheers

Ramsey
"Byte" wrote:

> This is usually caused by a "bad" printer driver. See (URL) steps 6 and 7
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
>
> You might want to try removing one driver entry, then starting the spooler
> again (steps 8 and 9). Repeat until the spooler stays running.
>
> If you recently added or updated a printer driver, that may be a good one to
> start with.
> --
> Courtesy of:
> Bruce Sanderson MVP
>
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "Ramsey" wrote:
>
> > I have a new Dell SX280 on XP SP2 running on a domain
> >
> > When I went to install the network printers it gave me an error saying the
> > Print Spooler service is not running. I went to Service and restarted it but
> > it just keeps stopping itself.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Ramsey
> > ramsey(removeme)@englandnetball.co.uk

Ramsey

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

After reinstalling the OS and installing the programs one-by-one it turned
out it was a known issue with the client installation of a program called
PC-Duo which I use on my network for remote control of client pc's etc. They
have offered a workaround/fix.

Thanks for all your suggestions

"Ramsey" wrote:

> Hi Bruce
>
> I have tried all of this and cleaned out the spool etc and edited the
> registry so there are no print drivers anywhere but still the service stops
> itself. It does not even come on on startup (even though it is set to
> automatic). I can start it - but it stops itself!
>
> It has very few programs on it but I am not sure if maybe one of them is
> causing the problem - for info it has: Office 97 pro, Outlook 2003, Sage Line
> 50, Acrobat 7.0, Winzip, and a USB modem. That's all!
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers
>
> Ramsey
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > This is usually caused by a "bad" printer driver. See (URL) steps 6 and 7
> > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> >
> > You might want to try removing one driver entry, then starting the spooler
> > again (steps 8 and 9). Repeat until the spooler stays running.
> >
> > If you recently added or updated a printer driver, that may be a good one to
> > start with.
> > --
> > Courtesy of:
> > Bruce Sanderson MVP
> >
> > --
> > Some days you're the windshield,
> > some days you're the bug.
> >

> > "Ramsey" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a new Dell SX280 on XP SP2 running on a domain
> > >
> > > When I went to install the network printers it gave me an error saying the
> > > Print Spooler service is not running. I went to Service and restarted it but
> > > it just keeps stopping itself.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > Ramsey
> > > ramsey(removeme)@englandnetball.co.uk

Byte

Hope it works for you, good luck and happy putering. :~)
--

"Ramsey" wrote:

> After reinstalling the OS and installing the programs one-by-one it turned
> out it was a known issue with the client installation of a program called
> PC-Duo which I use on my network for remote control of client pc's etc. They
> have offered a workaround/fix.
>
> Thanks for all your suggestions
>
> "Ramsey" wrote:
>
> > Hi Bruce
> >
> > I have tried all of this and cleaned out the spool etc and edited the
> > registry so there are no print drivers anywhere but still the service stops
> > itself. It does not even come on on startup (even though it is set to
> > automatic). I can start it - but it stops itself!
> >
> > It has very few programs on it but I am not sure if maybe one of them is
> > causing the problem - for info it has: Office 97 pro, Outlook 2003, Sage Line
> > 50, Acrobat 7.0, Winzip, and a USB modem. That's all!
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Ramsey
> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> > > This is usually caused by a "bad" printer driver. See (URL) steps 6 and 7
> > > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
> > >
> > > You might want to try removing one driver entry, then starting the spooler
> > > again (steps 8 and 9). Repeat until the spooler stays running.
> > >
> > > If you recently added or updated a printer driver, that may be a good one to
> > > start with.
> > > --
> > > Courtesy of:
> > > Bruce Sanderson MVP
> > >
> > > --
> > > Some days you're the windshield,
> > > some days you're the bug.

I found same problem in Vista Buisiness edition, after reinstalling the same driver and proper network sharing the printer working perfectly
JK