atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I tried to
start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer and it
says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with SP2 and a
Canon i560 printer.

What is the exact text of the message that appears when you type:

net start spooler

(as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I tried to
> start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer and it
> says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with SP2 and a
> Canon i560 printer.

I recently have had a similar problem and this command did not fix it. I get
another error message which says "The dependency service or group failed to
start. I believe it was with ERROR 1068.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> What is the exact text of the message that appears when you type:
>
> net start spooler
>
> (as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I tried to
> > start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer and it
> > says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with SP2 and a
> > Canon i560 printer.

Try

net start RPC
net start spooler

each line followed by enter and executed from the cmd interpreter.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"psypher" <psypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
:I recently have had a similar problem and this command did not fix it.
I get
: another error message which says "The dependency service or group
failed to
: start. I believe it was with ERROR 1068.
:
: "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
:
: > What is the exact text of the message that appears when you type:
: >
: > net start spooler
: >
: > (as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
: > --
: > Cari (MS-MVP)
: > Printing & Imaging
: >
: > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
: >
: > "atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:383FA4C0-F1BC-4BB6-9282-A3451CDA9DB1@microsoft.com...
: > >I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I
tried to
: > > start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer
and it
: > > says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with
SP2 and a
: > > Canon i560 printer.
: > >
: >
: >
: >
: >

Thanks Tom. I tried both and still get the window asking if I want to start
the print spooler, which I indicate 'yes' and nothing happens. I also get
this message and recommendation from the XP Library with this notation for
this error:

Error Message: The dependency service or group failed to start.
Explanation: An application has attempted to start a service. However, the
service did not start because one or more services that it depends on failed
to start.
User Action: Use Event Viewer to look in the event log for details about
the dependent service or group that failed to start.

Then what, after finding the 'dependent service'? I need to get more info
on this process and will be searching the XP site. I am attempting to
install a Lexmark printer, but I don't think it matters what printer with
this particular problem. Windows XP, SP2. I also wonder if any recent
'updates' would impact this process.

"Thomas Ferguson" wrote:

> Try
>

> net start RPC
> net start spooler
>

> each line followed by enter and executed from the cmd interpreter.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> "psypher" <psypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :I recently have had a similar problem and this command did not fix it.
> I get
> : another error message which says "The dependency service or group
> failed to
> : start. I believe it was with ERROR 1068.
> :
> : "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> :
> : > What is the exact text of the message that appears when you type:
> : >
> : > net start spooler
> : >
> : > (as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
> : > --
> : > Cari (MS-MVP)
> : > Printing & Imaging
> : >
> : > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> : >
> : > "atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> : > news:383FA4C0-F1BC-4BB6-9282-A3451CDA9DB1@microsoft.com...
> : > >I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I
> tried to
> : > > start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer
> and it
> : > > says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with
> SP2 and a
> : > > Canon i560 printer.
> : > >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >

atom

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Thank you all for your effort. I fixed the problem by going into Control
Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Print Spooler>Properties. On the "Log On"
tab - my Hardware Profile was disable and I enable it. That fixed my problem
and the spooler started working and all my printers showed up.

"psypher" wrote:

> Thanks Tom. I tried both and still get the window asking if I want to start
> the print spooler, which I indicate 'yes' and nothing happens. I also get
> this message and recommendation from the XP Library with this notation for
> this error:
>
> Error Message: The dependency service or group failed to start.
> Explanation: An application has attempted to start a service. However, the
> service did not start because one or more services that it depends on failed
> to start.
> User Action: Use Event Viewer to look in the event log for details about
> the dependent service or group that failed to start.
>
> Then what, after finding the 'dependent service'? I need to get more info
> on this process and will be searching the XP site. I am attempting to
> install a Lexmark printer, but I don't think it matters what printer with
> this particular problem. Windows XP, SP2. I also wonder if any recent
> 'updates' would impact this process.
>
> "Thomas Ferguson" wrote:
>
> > Try
> >

> > net start RPC
> > net start spooler
> >

> > each line followed by enter and executed from the cmd interpreter.
> >
> > Tom
> > MSMVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "psypher" <psypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > :I recently have had a similar problem and this command did not fix it.
> > I get
> > : another error message which says "The dependency service or group
> > failed to
> > : start. I believe it was with ERROR 1068.
> > :
> > : "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> > :
> > : > What is the exact text of the message that appears when you type:
> > : >
> > : > net start spooler
> > : >
> > : > (as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
> > : > --
> > : > Cari (MS-MVP)
> > : > Printing & Imaging
> > : >
> > : > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
> > : >
> > : > "atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > : > news:383FA4C0-F1BC-4BB6-9282-A3451CDA9DB1@microsoft.com...
> > : > >I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I
> > tried to
> > : > > start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer
> > and it
> > : > > says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with
> > SP2 and a
> > : > > Canon i560 printer.
> > : > >
> > : >
> > : >
> > : >
> > : >

See steps 15 through 17 at Bruce Sanderson's website at:
www.coribright.com

> [...]
>> : >
>> : > net start spooler
>> : >
>> : > (as per http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article%20Nine.htm)
>> : > --
>> : > Cari (MS-MVP)
>> : > Printing & Imaging
>> : >
>> : > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> : >
>> : > "atom" <a_tom50@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> : > news:383FA4C0-F1BC-4BB6-9282-A3451CDA9DB1@microsoft.com...
>> : > >I have a chicken & egg problem. My print spooler is not started. I
>> tried to
>> : > > start it and it says there are no printers. I try to add a printer
>> and it
>> : > > says my spooler has not started. I'm using XP Home Edition with

Thanks! That was the solution! Everything is working fine.