my print spooler service is gone. i can't start it up because it is simply
not there. I have windows xp service pack 2. is there any way to retrieve
this service without the draconian step of repair installation?

If it really isn't in the Services (Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services),
then the ONLY way to get it back is a Repair Installation.... however I
don't see a Repair Installation as a draconian step at all!

If you have your original XP CD, slipstream SP2 into it using the
instructions at:
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
and then burn your new CD which will be XP plus SP2.

After the Repair Installation you will then not have to reinstall SP2.
www.coribright.com