Printer disables other USB storage

PenguinBoy

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I hope networking was the right place to post :S.
Does anyone know how to help?

Problem:

I installed a new printer, Lexmark P4330, it has a removable disk drive.
I'm on Windows XP home sp2. and now when i plug in my walkman, which is a USB mass storage device, it sais "USB Device not recognised" in an error baloon, and it does the same for when i plug in my camera, which has a memory stick slot.

I have tried :

1/ Renaming the disk letter of the printer to "J" instead of "F" in "Computer Management" incase that was the conflict
2/ Reinstalling the camera driver (the walkman is mass storage so it doesn't need a driver)
3/ Tested other USB devices: The webcam works, so i think it's just a storage conflict.
4/ Device manager: The only yellow error was under "other devices" which was "Ethernet controller" and when i clicked on it's properties:
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28 )
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

however i don't know what the device actually is so i don't know what driver to install (if infact that is the REAL problem).

5/Unplugging the Printer - when unplugging the printer, the computer recognises the walkman (even if the lexmark program thinks it's a photo disk)

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
When you installed your printer, did it assign a drive letter to the removable HD? If so, change the drive letter for this one to something other than J and then try your other two devices.

PenguinBoy

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
i changed it TO "J" because it was "F" by default, so i've established that the conflict wasn't in the title of the drive.

aspicer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
> 4/ Device manager: The only yellow error was under "other devices"
> which was "Ethernet controller" and when i clicked on it's properties:
> "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28 )
> To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."
>
> however i don't know what the device actually is so i don't know what
> driver to install (if infact that is the REAL problem).

* Let me hit on the Ethernet controller for now. Do you have an add-on card such as 10/100 Network Card (aka Ethernet NIC?) or is there a built-in 10/100 (fat phone plug CAT5 RJ45 jack) wired connection jack on your computer?

Do you use such a thing?

* If you bought a network card, or your computer came with one, even if it's built-in you should have a CD for it. If not you can usually look on manufacturers support web site and find a download for the driver. Then delete the item from Device Manager, Install the driver, and reboot. It should then clear that problem.

I don't think "Ethernet Controller" has anything to do with your USB problem, unless Windows thinks your other USB items are an Ethernet Controller. Not likely! (Unplug all the USB things and reboot and if you still have a fault in Device Manager for Ethernet Controller, then it's just what it's telling you. Nothing more... nothing less.)

aspicer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
( * 1st of all, some devices, for whatever reason, don't like to be on External USB hubs. I've been told numerous times by support (name your product) to jack it directly into a built in USB socket not an external hub.)

This sounds more like a conflict at the USB driver level. The Lexmark drivers seems to conflict with the Walkman and Camera USB drivers.

1.) The short path. Take back the Lexmark Printer to the store and get a different brand printer and see if that solves the problems.

2.) The long path, contact Lexmark support and tell them about your problem and see if it's a known issue. Search the web similarly for someone else having a USB conflict between these products.

USB troubleshooting and drivers can get ugly sometimes. You can remove or uninstall devices. There is also a thing to view Non Present Devices.

At the command prompt, type:
Devmgmt.msc set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1

In Device Manager, on the View menu, select Show hidden devices.

* This is from:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_lhfg.asp

* You might try changing the order in which the software/drivers for the devices is installed. Try uninstalling the Walkman and the Camera, and the Printer.

Install printer 1st, followed by the other two.

Reboot. See what happens.

PenguinBoy

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Ug, thanks for ur help, it'll have to be some of the things i try when it gets to the weekend. i'm a bit to busy at the moment.

i'm going to try uninstalling the printer, then installing it again, while all my other devices are plugged in and running, to see if the setup takes note and sets the printer to adapt.

i don't have any networking, and my internet is dial up and runs off a phoneline... i'm not having any problems with internet at the moment so i'll leave my search for old driver cds to a different date.

also, all devices are plugged straight into the computer so no external hubs. i'm going to try introducing one, to try and seperate the printer from the other devices. see how that works.

thanks for ur help though, if only there was an easier answer.
more trial and error it is.

thankyou x x

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I also get that "USB Device not recognised" message when there is not enough power on the usb ports. Perhaps the Lexmark printer is drawing to much power from the USB ports, though I have never heard of a printer needing power from the USB ports... I know that sounds crazy but it sorta fits what is happening. You might try an externally powered USB Hub. They arn't that expensive anymore and it would tell you if it is software or hardware right away.