[SOLVED] Printer ethernet question

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Am I understanding correctly that if I buy a printer with an ethernet connection, I can plug it into my wireless router and any PC connected to the wireless router will be able to print? Would I have to have the installation software on each PC? I assume ethernet is a more foolproof way of staying connected to the printer than wifi and similar to USB?

Solution
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

You will need to install the printer software for any of the advanced features. You may be able to get away with a Universal Print driver if you just want to do basic printing.

Though on the last point, kind of the same. After the initial setup, it would just show up as a network printer.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

You will need to install the printer software for any of the advanced features. You may be able to get away with a Universal Print driver if you just want to do basic printing.

Though on the last point, kind of the same. After the initial setup, it would just show up as a network printer.

Solution

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Thanks. Now I have to find a decent printer. I was looking at the Cannon Image Class MF236N but the reviews on Amazon are horrible. Are there any posts here I can read that would direct me to printers that work like they are supposed to? I don't want to spend more than $200 and all it has to do is print, scan and copy. No need for wireless if it has ethernet.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Are there any posts here I can read that would direct me to printers that work like they are supposed to?

You make me laugh. Aside from heavy duty office and business class printers, most home models are buggy, prone to failure, and in the case of inkjets super expensive to operate.

Laser printers are superior, but I've found the quality of the cheaper ones to be suspect. They tend to die before going through their trial cartridges, unless you print a lot.

I've been meaning to try a Samsung printer to see if they still believe in quality, but haven't replaced my cheap brother laser printer. I've not much interest in multifunction printers, but higher end HP ones are the only ones I know to last at least a while.

Reactions: emitfudd